dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: EMAIL FORM

Ok. I know this is probably REAL simple but, here goes . . .
    I want to create a simple form where visitors to my site input their email address and name, and when they hit a "submit" button, that information is sent to my email address. Does this make sense? How do I do this? Is there a sample file somewhere?

Thanks - Gary

To be able to do this stuff you need permissions on your server (which are likely NOT to be cleared on FREE web spaces).
    If you have a registered domain on a server where you pay for the hosting service usually you get these permissions.

The second question is relative to the KIND of server that is hosting you (usually it's between two systems):
    NT server (Windows computers) or Apache server (Unix computers).

According to the kind of server you're on, you can use different SCRIPTS:
    NT usually supports only ASP, whereas Apache supports CGI (Perl) scripts and PHP...and sometimes it has a virtual support for ASP.

Sending e-mails is FAR EASIER with ASP, as you don't need to know ANYTHING about the server configuration...you actually just compile 8 lines of code and you're done....
    with CGI this can get really tricky....as you need to know how Apache, and the e-mail program have been installed.

Anyway, if you want to get going just type "mail" in the search box under the "tutorial" section of FlashKit, you'll find enough help there for this

Cheers

Thanks!

Thanks Keyone!

You're welcome!
    You must get used to feeling at home here

Have a good time.