dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: im back with a question,

Hey there okes,okay, i got the first thing of my new website running, there is still millions of probs there, i know how i am going to fix the loading movie, i must just change the size and stuff, What i really wanty to know now is this, i check on all flash sites, that when u click a link, then the page stays the same, its seems like just a part changes, what i mean is that the whole page does not change, now how the hell am i supposed to figure that out?
    Also, in the loading movie, how can i make the .... after the loading text move? like show one . then another and on and on?
    U can check the first attempt at the site at http://www.g0llumw3b.tk
    thanx

answers

Originally posted by gandalf_oke
    Hey there okes,okay, i got the first thing of my new website running, there is still millions of probs there, i know how i am going to fix the loading movie, i must just change the size and stuff, What i really wanty to know now is this, i check on all flash sites, that when u click a link, then the page stays the same, its seems like just a part changes, what i mean is that the whole page does not change, now how the hell am i supposed to figure that out?
    Also, in the loading movie, how can i make the .... after the loading text move? like show one . then another and on and on?
    U can check the first attempt at the site at http://www.g0llumw3b.tk
    thanx
    First off is that your artwork on your site... Very cool

Anyway to do the loading movie
    To make your own simple one do this:
    Add a text element with "LOADING" as the text
    then and another one with "......" as the text

position the dots right after the loading text then add an event that "SHOWS" the dots left to right change the length of your loading movie to just long enough for the event to finish and make sure it's set to loop. and your done.

As for the other question you can make child movies and layers of elements that you can hide and show in response to clicks and events.

thanx okes

hey thanx a load man, but i cant take too much credit for the pics, i got them from other places, i just made them work for the site, sort of, most are final fantasy stuff.
    but dude, thanx a load man, i really appreciate it, maybs the site will be cool next weekend.
    I have no idea to do the layers and child movies, but im sure that i will figure it out somehow,
    thanx dude

oh, btw, your works link doesn't work

About the links-and some more question

The links dont work, because the stuff you saw there served no real purpose. I just used it to check if the loading movie came oki.
    I changed it completely, I found a cool thing to use, boxes, and here is my new question for u clever okes out there. I want to make it so that there is a little button at the top corner, sort of like windows X button, when u click it the box must popup, when i do it in 3dfa, it works fine, i use a picture button to do it, but when i export it,it goes all weird, when i move the mouse to where the box should be when i click it, the mouse changes to that hand thingie, that means that you can just click anywhere and it will popup, how do i make it, so that it just pops up when i click on the X.??
    Check the changed version at www.g0llumw3b.tk None of the links work yet, sorry, but I first want to get the homepage running.
    Tell me if its good or if it sux.plz.
    thanx a load okes.

Re: About the links-and some more question

I want to make it so that there is a little button at the top corner, sort of like windows X button, when u click it the box must popup, when i do it in 3dfa, it works fine, i use a picture button to do it, but when i export it,it goes all weird, when i move the mouse to where the box should be when i click it, the mouse changes to that hand thingie, that means that you can just click anywhere and it will popup, how do i make it, so that it just pops up when i click on the X.??
    I like what you've done looks nice... Might be getting a little big. As for your question... I don't entirely understand what you mean, but it might be that you didn't recenter the center of you paint object.

Thanx, but i agree, it does not look that nice when u view it in 800X600 resolution or less, u need to view it in 1024X768. Therefore I will change it again, I also figured that i will make the top frame normal html.
    As for the question, I will make a page with what i want to do, but that i will only be able to put up next week, because i am going to be busy all weekend. I will let u know though.
    Thanx for u okes, u help a lot.

Lightbulb A few questions more!!

I have a seriously dumb question for you okes, when i want to link to another page from my home page, i have to type in the url feature, the entire web address. Can i put a local url in there, that will also work if i place all the needed files in the main folder on the web?
    And then, for those who have seen my latest site, will know that i have all these boxes there, i want to get rid of the frames on the site. Then i want to make it as follows: There must be a main box, and a link box. the link box is there already, then when i click on a link, the page does not change, evrything stays there, except for the main and links boxes. They must change according to the link pressed. Is that possible? Sort of like using frames, where just the target frame change.
    Shed some light on that PLEAAAASE????
    thanx okes

Re: A few questions more!!

I have a seriously dumb question for you okes, when i want to link to another page from my home page, i have to type in the url feature, the entire web address. Can i put a local url in there, that will also work if i place all the needed files in the main folder on the web?
    And then, for those who have seen my latest site, will know that i have all these boxes there, i want to get rid of the frames on the site. Then i want to make it as follows: There must be a main box, and a link box. the link box is there already, then when i click on a link, the page does not change, evrything stays there, except for the main and links boxes. They must change according to the link pressed. Is that possible? Sort of like using frames, where just the target frame change.
    Shed some light on that PLEAAAASE????
    thanx okes
    to your first question, Yes you can use local url.

to your second question:

I believe what you want is to use the "LOADMOVIE" feature. You can have each of your "windows" as a seperate swf file and when a link is clicked you load that movie. Either that or have them has hidden and the link just shows them, but the loadmovie way will lessen your load time at startup.

One note on loading movies. Loaded movies are ALWAYS in the top left corner, so make the loaded movie the SAME dimensions as teh main movie but place the part you want to show in the proper place and leave the rest blank.

Lightbulb dear bret lanius

It seems that you are the main oke in this board thing.

Do u have any idea what you have just done! U have just given me the solution on the prob i had a while ago.
    I can use the show and hide thingie as a sort of picture button, i can now make some of the boxes popup and disapear when u click on a certain place. Thanx man,
    I also found some nifty things that i can use, like a fullscreen window for the site.
    nice.
    Another question,
    this i think will involve some serious thinking and stuff, but how do i add the time and date to my site?

one more thing, can i place a sort of normal html frame or box in the flash site, i rate that that will be much easyier to update than uploading an entire flash program each time.???

and thanx again dude.
    jy is sommer 'n lekker ou bull
    (That is afrikaans:you are a cool oke: but that is using a funny way of my language, you can also say: jy is 'n cool ou: that is the exact way of the english translation i gave.)
    Now you got a nice lesson in a foreign language.
    enjoy your week

Re: dear bret lanius

No problem Gandalf,

For date and time sure it's easy..
    For analog you could download my Clock example.

For digital, in the actions you can assing a variable to equal Hour or Minute or Second. And for a simple clock display

Make an editbox and assing it the variable "now" then make a list of actions that has this:
    Let now =
    Hour&":"&Minute&":"&Second

and you will have a basic clock display.

or even:
    Month&"/"&Day&"/"&Year&" "&Hour&":" &Minute&":"& Second
    to show the date as part of it.

These functions are available in the javascript as well and you can expand this further.

see http://deadyeti.com/blanius/time.swf

Source file
    http://deadyeti.com/files/files.php?func=fileinfo&id=20

nice man, thanx

Dude much obliged, i am now redoing my site. The frames are not working that nice.
    I am now doing it all in one.
    I dont know how the show and hide thing works though, cause all it has there in the dropdown is the mouse thing.
    Can i make it show and hide a paint pic for example?
    I will def use the clock thingie man. thanx

Re: nice man, thanx

Oh yeah to use show and hide the element must "HAVE PROPERTIES" set.
    Just click on the little circle thing next to the name of the objects you will want to hide.

Dude much obliged, i am now redoing my site. The frames are not working that nice.
    I am now doing it all in one.
    I dont know how the show and hide thing works though, cause all it has there in the dropdown is the mouse thing.
    Can i make it show and hide a paint pic for example?
    I will def use the clock thingie man. thanx

hello Bret.
    I sort of figured it out, the whole show and hide thing, but i reckon the properties will work way better, i did differently, i made chidmovies, and then showed and hided them as i needed.
    I changing my address, it will be http://www.g0llumw3b.com from now on, but give me a while to first load it all up.
    Hey bret, i hope that you will dig the link i put to your site.
    Thanx hey.
    I rate I have this thing under control, sort of.
    It is not top class website, but it will do.

hello Bret.
    I sort of figured it out, the whole show and hide thing, but i reckon the properties will work way better, i did differently, i made chidmovies, and then showed and hided them as i needed.
    I changing my address, it will be http://www.g0llumw3b.com from now on, but give me a while to first load it all up.
    Hey bret, i hope that you will dig the link i put to your site.
    Thanx hey.
    I rate I have this thing under control, sort of.
    It is not top class website, but it will do.
    Yeah thanks for the link.