A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Not sure if this is for the newbie forum, but here goes....

This might be a newbie question, but i think the people in this forum might be a little bit more helpful
    I have a movie with 2 buttons on it. One is a "skip intro" button, the other links to the site the introduction is for,(it can be found at the end of the movie). Now, my question to all of you is:
    How do i link a button to a URL?????
    i have looked and looked, but can find no tutorials or explanations, which makes me think that its something VERY stupid. I tried the GET URL action, typed in the address, and the button does not work. Any help would be appreciated, as i would like my masterpiece, (err....yea), to be on the web

okkkkkkk

okay it must be a button and the get url function must be on the button not inside(a little confusing i know)if you still have problems send me the .fla and I will fix it and send it back
    sueybosar@hotmail.com
    hope this helps

getURL("http://www.mysite.com/index.html") should work (substitute in your own address). if the html page is in the same directory as the Flash movie, you can just put getURL("index.html")

where are you placing the action for the button?

i've seen this mistake quite a bit. the action is accidentally placed in the symbol. not in the instance that is placed on the stage. in other words, DON'T place the action on the "UP", "OVER", "DOWN",or "HIT" states of the button. drag the button to the stage, select it, and open the actions window. in Flash 5 for Windows, you can either right click the button and select "Actions" or you can go to Windows>>Actions from the top toolbar. this is where you place the getURL action.

i hope this helps.

Thx

Well, i think i could handle it if you could just post a sort of step-by-step way to put the URL on the button instead of in it. The way im doing it is double-click the button and put on the action. If you could just post the alternative, that would be great. Thx again

ok

don't double click, right click on the symbol choose properties actions and then use the get url action. try that

Cyman, that is what im doing.
    clicking the instance and putting in the URL. If i am doing THAT part correctly, is there anything else that i can do i might be missing, (i.e, i noticed some other options under the GET URL command, do i need to use those?).

no you shouldn't need to set those leave them as defaults. i don't know what else to tell you if you are certain that the action is in the correct place, it should work.

you can send me the fla if you'd like, and i can look at it.

LOL< it works now. i had to just put http:// in the link. thx guys.