A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: base parameters/variables and plugins

Hybrid View

i am directing work on a flash navigation piece and having trouble with players older than 6 serving up the correct URL's to the browser. the swf's we had our developer build for us are supposed to be player 3-6 compliant, but so far the links have not been working in players 3-5. since i am a novice at flash, and am not sure how to describe the problem, i hope this all makes sense. maybe this will help - when i chat with the developer, he mentions the base parameter in the html and variables set up in the fla file.

here is a link to the nav placed in a html file with all the code exported from Flash: http://www.dkyinc.com/dky/winnebagos...utus_test.html

please check this out - any help/suggestions/questions would be really helpful!

thanks,

dean

TheForceIsStrongWithThisOne dvdvault's Avatar
    dean...

nav works fine in player 6...but you already knew that

What exactly is your question....do you just want player compatibility checks

if so...i would recommend re-posting in the site check forum

Best of luck

dvdvault-

hey, thanks for your reply. i should have been more specific in what i am looking for, but this is a little hard when i know little about flash backend terminology. what i am wanting to know is why the html links embedded in the swf's (apparently they contain only part of the URL, the base parameter containing the the first few levels. eg: <param name="BASE" value="http://www.dkyinc.com/dky/winnebagosite/">) don't work in players 3-5 and any possible solutions. i have tested this in various browsers and players and am confused as to what's going on.

thanks,

dean

TheForceIsStrongWithThisOne dvdvault's Avatar
    hi dean,

off the bat...im not pretending to be a flash guru....but im pretty sure that the swf gets embeded into the HTML, not the other way around...also the actual embed HTML tag is an activeX tag, and as such doesn't work in Netscape...but im pretty sure that it Flash Player (at least) 4 & 5 supported...

As far as the BASE variable that has been embeded... i really dont know...

the funny thing is the base URL actually leads to an unauthorised page....i would make sense to initialise a base URL to the home page ???

but i really cant comment on the base parameter...

sorry for the little help i offer...

i would now suggest re-posing this to the flash 5 actionscripting forum...as this seems to be one for the seasoned pro's

cheers

dvdvault-

hello! thanks again for your response. i, unfortuantely, don't have a grasp on these issues, but i will pass your comments off to my developer and see what he can do.

thanks again,

dean