dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Transferring images? Which format?

I am making website templates, and obviously each image must be of best quality, so the user can modify them with a graphics program. Which image format is best to be distributed digitally, that many graphics applications can open?

I was thinking PNG/TIFF... but please give your input as all I really know about is JPG and GIF, and they lose quality when yous ave them, so they are out of the question.

this is a nudist site right?
    TIFFs (.tif) are great. my choice for saving images used for print media or anything of high res. previews well. large file size however and not suitable for www

EPS (.eps) as above. does not preview as well

JPEG (.jpg) are good for obtaining high image quality with a small file size. great for print media (if max quality compression) and for http://www. DO NOT SAVE JPEGS MULTIPLE TIMES AS EACH TIME YOU DO YOU ARE PLACING A CODEX OVER A CODEX WHICH DECREASES IMAGE QUALITY AND CREATES HARSH ARTIFACTS WITHIN THE IMAGE.

GIF (.gif) suck arse. this format only lets you use 256 colours. small file size however

PDF (.pdf) great format. not compatible with all applications yet

PICT (.pct?) good. okay for importing into flash and other digital applications

thats all you need to know...

cheers

Hey aer, what about PNG? I heard PNG were good, and I am currently set on PNG

kevin . to tell the truth i have never used PNG before (or felt need - you cannot import images into programs like quark for print media) . from what i remember it is a developing format (like pdf) that shall advance and become used more often and to greater effect.

i just got this from photoshops help menu:

Developed as a patent-free alternative to GIF, the Portable Network Graphics (PNG) format is used for losslessly compressing and displaying images on the World Wide Web. Unlike GIF, PNG supports 24-bit images and produces background transparency without jagged edges; however, some older versions of Web browsers may not support PNG images. The PNG format supports grayscale and RGB color modes with a single alpha channel, and Bitmap and indexed-color modes without alpha channels. PNG uses the saved alpha channel to define transparency in the file; be sure to delete all but the desired alpha channel from your image before saving as PNG.
    When saving in PNG format, you can select Adam7 to display the image in increasing detail as it is downloaded. You can also run the image through a filtering algorithm that prepares the image data for optimal compression:
    • None compresses the image without a filter, and is recommended for indexed-color and Bitmap-mode images.
    • Sub optimizes the compression of images with even horizontal patterns or blends.
    • Up optimizes the compression of images with even vertical patterns.
    • Average optimizes the compression of low-level noise by averaging the color values of adjacent pixels.
    • Paeth optimizes the compression of low-level noise by reassigning adjacent color values.
    • Adaptive applies the filter—Sub, Up, Average, or Paeth—best-suited for the image. Select Adaptive if you are unsure of which filter to use.

hope this helps...

dave

So, do you think I should use PNG or TIFF? These are for the best quality of the image, and aren't going to be saved for the web. Out of the TIFF/PNG, the user is going to save the finished product as a .jpg most of the time (occasionally a .gif)

if file size is not a problem, go tiff. (advantages: cross platform format (ie. works on pcs and macs), can be saved as both cmyk and rgb format, maximum quality (ie. 32bit), no compression (no loss of quality).

however jpeg is still as good. (advantages: cross platform, can save as cmyk or rgb, maximum quality compression has no loss of quality (so the industry says but i am still unsure about that), LOW FILE SIZE

png has limitations (only 24bit, cannot save as cmyk, does not import into publishing software)

> go jpeg. - small file size, and in a format which can be easily viewed by clients

hope that all helps...

dave...

Thanks, I think I will go high quality jpegs.. what should I do with those that have text on them. Generally you save those as .gif...

with text... export as pdf (not through photoshop, however) as it is a format that will embed fonts as vector graphics above the below image (which will provide your type with unlimited resolution so it shall always print well when outputted)

good luck...

dave.

I understand where you're coming from, but let me just clarify...

The images being sent are for a user, lets say you. You are provided with the "original" graphics, at which you can modify them (i.e. a button, obviously you'd want blank buttons).

So, pdf isn't exactly an option as it is convient for the customer.