dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: An Odd Question...

What is the point of the QUALITY setting when you right click? What is the benefit? I have yet to find one. Anyone care to enlighten me?

if you are talking about the quality next to the audio setting i have no idea, but i'd love to know too.
    (great question)

Yeah, it has boggled my mind for a while now, someone just made it apparent. Anyways, there are no benefits for it. It's not like it increases performance.

Originally posted by hispanicboy
    if you are talking about the quality next to the audio setting i have no idea, but i'd love to know too.
    (great question)
    Wait wait, no. Not in the export settings. What your talking about is JPEG compression. I am refering to the actual viewing, when your actually on the webpage and when you right click and it has QUALITY--->Low, Medium, High.

Come on, out of all the people on FlashKit, someone MUST have an answer.

apparantly high quality computers can view it at a low quality settings and it would look perfect. still pointless though, just to see how good your computer is.

day.

That doesn't answer my question.

I think its if your getting jumpy animations or something because your computer sucks, switching to medium or low will allow faster performance. I do notice that the animations look alot more pixilated when i click low, luckily i dont need the perfomance.

Originally posted by courtland
    I think its if your getting jumpy animations or something because your computer sucks, switching to medium or low will allow faster performance. I do notice that the animations look alot more pixilated when i click low, luckily i dont need the perfomance.
    No, see...thats the thing... it doesnt not help performance, it just makes it look all grainy.

If the swf is really heavy with anamations and a high frame rate and you are playing it back on on older pc the low quality setting will allow the movie to play at the correct frame rate with out choking the processor.

Moock.org has some dection scripts that you can use to set variable levels (low, med, high) for playback on different pc's

that's my stoy and I'm sticking with it.

Smile

theres no point to it. there.

Banned

Straight from the help file:)

QUALITY

Value

low | high | autolow | autohigh | best

Template variable: $QU

Description

(Optional) Specifies the level of anti-aliasing to be used during playback of your movie. Because anti-aliasing requires a faster processor to smooth each frame of the movie before it is rendered on the viewer's screen, choose a value based on whether speed or appearance is your top priority:

Low favors playback speed over appearance and never uses anti-aliasing.

Autolow emphasizes speed at first but improves appearance whenever possible. Playback begins with anti-aliasing turned off. If the Flash Player detects that the processor can handle it, anti-aliasing is turned on.

Autohigh emphasizes playback speed and appearance equally at first but sacrifices appearance for playback speed if necessary. Playback begins with anti-aliasing turned on. If the actual frame rate drops below the specified frame rate, anti-aliasing is turned off to improve playback speed. Use this setting to emulate the View > Antialias setting in Flash.

Medium applies some anti-aliasing and does not smooth bitmaps. It produces a better quality than the Low setting, but lower quality than the High setting.

High favors appearance over playback speed and always applies anti-aliasing. If the movie does not contain animation, bitmaps are smoothed; if the movie has animation, bitmaps are not smoothed.

Best provides the best display quality and does not consider playback speed. All output is anti-aliased and all bitmaps are smoothed.

The default value for Quality is high if this attribute is omitted.