A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Getting into Flash design as a career...a little help?

Newbie Extraordinaire

Lightbulb

Greetings, all...

I would love to do web design (primarily Flash) as a career. I've researched training and found that a CIW (Certified Internet Webmaster) receives Flash training. My question is, is getting this certification really necessary?

I spoke to a former co-worker who is the webmaster for the company I used to work for. He told me that he is not certified, but simply was working at another position and put in a couple of ideas, resulting in them asking if he would like the position.

So what is the best route to get into Flash/web design? I already do it as a hobby, but wouldn't mind getting paid for it. Any help would be appreciated.

Crasher

One day older, one day wiser rafiki55's Avatar
    I don't think you need to spend the money on getting certified right now. Think of yourself as an artist, most artist don't get certified (inless it's schooling certificates, but that's different).

I think the best way to start is to get a portfolio of a few good sites, make yourself a website and hand out business cards (tactfully) to everyone you meet and tell all your friends about it. Word of mouth seems to work better than anything; plus it's free!

-Robert

Newbie Extraordinaire

Lightbulb

Thank you, Robert, for your advice.

I was trying to decide between getting my A+/Net+ certification or my CIW certification. Based on your advice, I believe it would be in my best interest to go after the A+/Net+, and then build a portfolio and put out business cards like you advised.

Thank you again for your help.

Crasher

I think your stupid if you specialize - everyone wants you to be able to do everything; you'll never get a job if you just focus on the one design area.

Newbie Extraordinaire

Lightbulb

I wasn't planning on specializing. I am just making sure that Flash would be a key tool in the website development I would be doing.

Crasher