A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: why is 'Flash 5 Actionscript' now just 'Actionscript'?

actually, the subject line says it all

lots of MX questions cropping up in what I assume is still the Flash 5 actionscript forum (or flash 4/5 actionscript?).

makes it harder to answer them/read them/search them in my opinion.

- n.

oops - actually I just reread the board list and I understand what has happened

so I'll rephrase the question - why are all the actionscript boards merged into one now? that is a bit annoying

- n.

Originally posted by enemem
    why are all the actionscript boards merged into one now? that is a bit annoying
    - n.
    Per US anti-discrimination laws, I'm sure Flashkit decided to desegregate the different Flavors of ActionsScript.
    And besides, the only real difference is in 4/5.
    MX has some new features, but the syntax is the same.
    People would be wise to include the version they are dealing with in the body/title of their post.

I would assume more or less the same as loungeboy. Most questions would have the same answer regardless of 5/MX, and it's not really worth it to have seperate 5/MX forums.

h

Originally posted by hockyfan
    I would assume more or less the same as loungeboy. Most questions would have the same answer regardless of 5/MX, and it's not really worth it to have seperate 5/MX forums.

h
    well - I see where you + l0ungeb0y are coming from but I'm not entirely sure that's true.

if it's a simple question ('how do I use arrays for this', etc) - then yes, that's true.

but quite often there is a better or different solution when you are using MX because of the new event handler functionality + object oriented programming etc. it's happened a few times now that I've started writing an answer and suddenly thought 'hang on, in MX you could do it like this...'.

I guess the main problem is that people hardly ever specify which version they are using.

(also, there is still an MX forum, which also gets actionscript questions, so now the whole thing is split over two boards )

i'm not on a crusade to change this or anything but it seems a slightly strange way to arrange these categories

- n.

Object Oriented Programming new for MX?
    You mean all my Flash 5 Object Libraries I toiled to create aren't really OOP? Well, that's news.

There are new features in MX, which do change things a little bit for certain things, so my tip for you is assume MX unless the poster states otherwise. Why assume MX?
    Because it's the latest and one should assume the most current version.

When I post on other boards, such as phpbuilder etc, people very rarely state their version, and new versions of PHP are released every 3-4 months. So currently I assume 4.2.x
    which is quite different from 4.1.2 and 4.0.6 due to new rules for global scoping from apache etc.

I've yet to have a problem with people not getting the help they needed from my posts there so I assume those running earlier versions were savvy enough to get where my supported version differed from theirs. And I don't see why a similar method wouldn't work for posts on flashkit.

Originally posted by l0ungeb0y
    Object Oriented Programming new for MX?
    You mean all my Flash 5 Object Libraries I toiled to create aren't really OOP? Well, that's news.
    no - of course that wasn't what I meant about OOP - I was just talking about the new functionality relating to it.

anyway, good point about php + assuming the new version, I will see how that works out.

- n.

Civilian
    I just added a note to the forum description asking that people specify which version of Flash they are referring to. Let's see if this helps, ok?

L0ungeb0y, I took over management of PHP Builder last month. If you have any suggestions on how I/we can improve things, please feel free to send them to me at staff at the phpbuilder.com domain. We should have the forums improved in a month or two.
    [Edited by jstarkey on 07-20-2002 at 02:35 AM]

Originally posted by jstarkey

L0ungeb0y, I took over management of PHP Builder last month. If you have any suggestions on how I/we can improve things, please feel free to send them to me at staff@phpbuilder.com. We should have the forums improved in a month or two.
    Ohhh good, that place needs a MAJOR overhaul.
    Seems like Internet.com aquired it and just let it sit.
    It'd be good to see some fresh development go on there.

I just added a note to the forum description asking that people specify which version of Flash they are referring to. Let's see if this helps, ok?
    cool - thanks!

is it possible that the description was added to the wrong forum (ie. Flash MX, rather than Actionscript)?

- n.

Civilian

is it possible that the description was added to the wrong forum (ie. Flash MX, rather than Actionscript)?

- n.

lol, I'm on a roll this week. Yep, wrong forum. I've fixed it. Thanks for pointing that out.

- n.

lol, I'm on a roll this week. Yep, wrong forum. I've fixed it. Thanks for pointing that out.
    I know the feeling - was doubting my sanity until I found the description on the MX forum

thanks again - n.