A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Do you know ASP?

Question

i have a small proble min getting variable to pass correcly from ASP to Flash. Using Response.write "&fieldname=" +data
    where data is a string puts everything after the = in to Flash, in this case, " +data.
    does anybody know how to get the stuff to pass to Flash properly, if data = "hello", in this case it should pass, &fieldname=hello. Why is this not the case?

Cool

I think you need:

Response.write "&fieldname=" & data

NOT

Response.write "&fieldname=" + data

JR

Response.write "&fieldname=" &data, just puts the " and ignores the data variable. It seems t obe a problem with Flash not seeing the response as a whole. I tried putting it into a variable first but this returns the same. Even if you remove the response.write and just assign "&fieldname=" +data to a variable it does the same again.

Wink

Well here's a piece of the exact ASP code that I've used in various ASP/Flash projects and it works without any problems.

Set rs = Conn.Execute("select text from table1 ")
    counter = ("0")
    Do until rs.eof
    counter = counter + 1
    item = rs("text")
    Returnstring = "&Result" & counter & "=" & item
    Response.Write(ReturnString)
    rs.Movenext
    loop

rs.Close
    conn.close

many thanks for this. It stil lseems to have problems but as the ASP code is correct I think that maybe the call from Flash is incorrect. I am using GetURL LoadVariables into level 0 using POST and pointing it to the ASP page that I holds my script. Correct or not???

Hi,

I used the load movie command, with the load variables option checked, select target option (but just leave it blank) and don't send variables.......it looks like this:

Load Variables ("myfile.asp", "")

Hope that helps

JR