A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: amazing wallpaper, but how do they do it?!

im a newbie at photoshop, and i saw this amazing wallapaper, and i was just wondering, how do you make something like this? what are the steps and effects that they used?

http://drain.subwayz.net/image.pl?im...er/vod1024.jpg

That's probably an abtstract rendered in 3Dsmax then
    imported into photoshop for blending and text effects.

Enough tutorials on the subject I guess.

could have used the method above, but also could have all been done in photoshop, eg: (in brief)

-make paths for two objects
    -fill paths (seperate objects on seperate layers)
    -create light paths in alpha channels using the objects as a base
    -use lighting effects with new alpha channels to create the light paths
    -touch-up lighting through blurring, sharpening etc as required.
    -adjust curves, levels and hue & saturation to get final image

kinda makes 3dsmax seem a lot easier

No offense joshcho,but you asked the same thing I asked, you got the help you were lookin for and I get pounded on http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=343884 That really really pisses me off.

people tend to be overly sensitive about this stuff, gawd knows why... I always hate it when people say that all you need is imagination because there's a hell of a lot of technical know-how that goes into these things too. For some people it comes easier, for others it's harder to learn.

I agree with people that say that if you were really destined to be producing stuff like this then you would be constantly sketching ideas and playing with photoshop, but at the same time there's a lot you can learn by deconstructing the work of others.

just my 2 cents.

But aversion do you get my point? it really ticks me off to see this. Its a forum, to get replies, suggestions,help, what have you and then people tend to stomp on you for no reason cause they want to learn how to do something. I believe about the destined thing to, but heres my point, Im a singer, if you come to me and cant sing all that well, and want to learn, I will turn you into a decent singer, thats what Im talking about.

Oh well, roll with it as it comes.

my thoughts: Like I've always said, you need as much technical know-how as you do imagination-and I honestly dont't know which one takes more precedance. I would think imagination, because you can learn to use graphic software according to books, teachers, etc, but if you end up only doing unimaginative work that fits some sort of template, you're not really exploring anything.
    And I also strongly feel that not everyone can find/does have that imagination within them. No one is good at everything, we all have things we'd like to pursue, and yes, tons of practice and learning will bring you along, but with something artistic, I think some people have it and some don't.

mg33

Originally posted by Vox98
    But aversion do you get my point? it really ticks me off to see this. Its a forum, to get replies, suggestions,help, what have you and then people tend to stomp on you for no reason cause they want to learn how to do something. I believe about the destined thing to, but heres my point, Im a singer, if you come to me and cant sing all that well, and want to learn, I will turn you into a decent singer, thats what Im talking about.

I agree with you, I think that being disparaging in a community like this is pointless, the idea is to encourage. I agree with mg33 that a few people have it and most don't but there's no reason for people not to try it. Things like this are often about personal acheivement, who cares if you don't design wallpapers like onyro or print work like mike cina, the point for me is that a lot of people are going to feel a great sense of accomplishment from havign a go.

I agree that imagination and creativity are very important, but everyone has those things, the trick is to use it properly. Copying other people isn't a good way to progress but I believe that deconstructing wallpapers, web sites, whatever, can be a very useful learnng tool. I have several of onyro's PSD files that he distributed to people on his mailing list, they were a great inspiration, to be able to pick through his creations layer by layer. I didn't try to copy his stuff but deconstructing it really helped me feel confident about the way I was going about things, it took some of the mystery out of the process and convinced me that I could do my own thing without thinking that these guys had some magical ability to make PS work for them.

It also drove home the point that we all have the same tools, it's our creativity and the ability and discipline to express this that sepearates the great from the not.

Whether people have it or not I won't ever discourage them from trying, there's simply no point in being elitist on these boards, I will discourage people from copying other's work at all times, but I don't think that's what you were asking to be able to do vox.

Originally posted by aversion
    Originally posted by Vox98

I agree with you, I think that being disparaging in a community like this is pointless, the idea is to encourage. I agree with mg33 that a few people have it and most don't but there's no reason for people not to try it. Things like this are often about personal acheivement, who cares if you don't design wallpapers like onyro or print work like mike cina, the point for me is that a lot of people are going to feel a great sense of accomplishment from havign a go.

I agree that imagination and creativity are very important, but everyone has those things, the trick is to use it properly. Copying other people isn't a good way to progress but I believe that deconstructing wallpapers, web sites, whatever, can be a very useful learnng tool. I have several of onyro's PSD files that he distributed to people on his mailing list, they were a great inspiration, to be able to pick through his creations layer by layer. I didn't try to copy his stuff but deconstructing it really helped me feel confident about the way I was going about things, it took some of the mystery out of the process and convinced me that I could do my own thing without thinking that these guys had some magical ability to make PS work for them.

It also drove home the point that we all have the same tools, it's our creativity and the ability and discipline to express this that sepearates the great from the not.

Whether people have it or not I won't ever discourage them from trying, there's simply no point in being elitist on these boards, I will discourage people from copying other's work at all times, but I don't think that's what you were asking to be able to do vox.

Well stated, I agree with you and mg33, but even you said that you got to pick apart someones PSD files. Thats all I was looking for believe me I will not copy others works but I WILL learn from them! Theres a good ol' saying, "you can do anything you set your mind to" Ok, I just need a little push, thats all

Good points.

As with any creative discipline, there is 'art' and there is 'craft'; so skills, techniques or whatever. Guitarists can't be expected to play the Blues straight away and will learn scales chords and all the 'tools' to learn to create. When you get to a certain point of skills you truly can explore, whatever the art form.

I would also say (heeere we go!) that I for one know I am 'standing on the shoulders of giants'. We learn from past work of the great masters and pioneers. In these cases we do disect and deconstruct, whether it is an engineer learning Newton's Laws, or a guitarist learning Hendrix. It is for me a natural part of the learning process- certainly not the same as plagarism!

Have I strayed off point.. er probably!

j

clarify: I've never said anything about taking apart psd's to learn. it works for some people, but it's never been something I did.

mg33