A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Adobe Dimensions

Question

Is adobe dimensions good for making 3D objects for use in flash movies?

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Wink

Ignore my post it was bad juju. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

[This message has been edited by Pope de Flash (edited 19 April 2000).]

Wink

Dimensions can output vectors, which are suitable for Flash. However, it's better if you load each frame into Adobe Illustrator and tidy it up before importing.......

This is how http://www.thevoid.co.uk/ did the 3d effects on his site.

JR

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info!

Wink

No problem. By the way, I'm not recommending that you go out and buy a copy....I'm just letting you know that it IS possible to use.

I think there are better tools available now like Illustrate, Vecta3d and Swift3d which are much more suitable for 3d in Flash.

Good luck!

JR

Hey, the Demos Of Death I & II are both made almost completely in Dimensions... http://www.wackedusa.com/3d

I think you can push dimensions pretty far if you try.

Vince

Wink

Yeah. Sorry Vince, your "demos of death" are great examples of what Dimensions can do. Nice job......but if you were doing a new 3d demo, which tool would you use now??

JR

hahaha... that's funny, the Demo Of Death III is on it's way and I've made it using Swift3D almost exclusively... no... exclusively.

Swift3D is TOTALLY WORTH THE MONEY. if you need to do 3D then Swift3D HAS to be one of your tools.

Vince

There you go......that's what I was saying to TNB74.

Dimensions used to be THE tool for 3d (unless you wanted to hand-trace) but right now there are better tools available

Can't wait to see the new Demo of Death Vince, hope you'll let us all know when it's ready!

JR

Thumbs up

Thanks for all of the great replies. My sister gave me her old computer and it has Adobe Dimensions on it. That is why I was asking about it. I was just curious as to how I could use it with flash. It seems like it would be difficult to use Dimensions to make 3D objects for flash, so I will probrably check out Swift 3D. Thanks!

Dimensions is only good for SIMPLE shapes... it starts to suck real bad when you get a little too many polygons going or if the camera angle is too high (or low... or whatever that is... you know... it sucks when you go wide angle...)

Vince

yeh but swift 3d is so goddamn expensive..
    And its not that im poor its just that i dont like to spend that much $ on a one job program, its not like photo shop where you can do tons a stuff with..it only does 3d stuff and there isnt even a demo!!
    I wish i could see a demo and see what its really like

Yo, the flicks are tight

------------------
    - 1st pick from the first round