A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: External Text Files

I'm fairly new to flash in general but I was trying to create a dynamic text box where I could update it outside of flash using a .txt document.

With my first attempt everything is well and all yet the text seems to play a game of scrabble with me, its getting jumbled up on me.

Here is what I did:
    1. Created a Dynamic Text Box and made it multilined and gave it the variable name "myText"
    2. I then made the .txt file and put something like this in it "myText=Testing External Script"
    3. Eh, I decided to put in some scripting to load the variable without a button, right? So here it is;
    ifFrameLoaded ("Scene 1", 177) {
    loadVariablesNum("home.txt", 0);
    }

Now, I just can't seem to catch whats wrong. Like I said I am new and this was a first attempt, usually I would try solving it but I am going to give up here and submit for help.

Any responses would be very appreciated,

Cheers

Banned

Well I was moments away before going out on a psychotic rampage possibly endangering myself or others because I couldn't seem to get this to work.

I thought I would upload it and put it online then show somebody the problem, amazingly, it worked fine. I have come to the conclusion that this seems to only work online, for if you attempt to view it offline, the text sort of jumbles/scrambles up. This was the case for me, not sure if it is always like this.. however, I dont mind not being able to view it offline.. just glad to know it works.

Thank you for the tip.

Your variable name should have a & in front of it in the text file.

Testing offline should work the same as online, generally speaking.