dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Pixel Shifting!!!

I'm having serious problems trying to fix the pixel-shifting in my flash movie. I've done extensive searching of these boards on how to eliminate pixel-shifting, and tried as many approaches as I could, including megatoon's 6-step pixel-shifting eliminating plan, and doing the "break/group" thing. I've looked at the Macromedia trouble-shooting advice on pixel shifting and tried those approaches. And still my movie is shifted by a pixel or so.

The ONLY thing I have found that works is setting the View quality to Low in the testing screen. At low setting, everything appears perfect. At medium or high, there is pixel shift. So I've tried publishing the movie with the quality setting to low in the html tab, yet the resulting file still has the pixel shift. In Dreamweaver MX, I've tried importing the swf and html and put the Quality setting at Low in the property inspector, and it still pixel shifts in the dreamweaver preview AND in the browser preview.

What to do, what to do?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Well let's go over what you tried....

-break apart the image
    -scale the image a tiny bit
    -set the alpha to 99 instead of 100
    -make sure the image position is whole numbers (i.e. instead of the x position being 24.6, make it 24)

Try all of those?

Recently I read on here that you can add a 1 pixel transparent border and bring the image in as a .png. You may try that as well.

Hmmm... thanks for the reply.

Yes, I did try those 4 things you posted and more with no success. However, I just tried the 1-pixel transparent border in Fireworks on one of my graphics, and that seemed to do the trick. I'll have to redo all my graphics and symbols again I suppose, but at least it will display correctly. Hopefully it'll work for all my bitmaps. Thanks again for the suggestion, I was pulling my hair out over this

They should put that trick up on the macromedia website or in the help file at least!

Er, I spoke a little too soon. Although the transparent 1-pixel border worked for 1 bitmap, with more than 1, I'm having problems. In order to have the bitmaps the way I want them, I need to overlap some of them on different layers, especially with the 1-pixel transparent border. When I'm working with them on the stage, they're the way I want them. When I test it, each of the bitmaps move 1 pixel in DIFFERENT directions. Argh.

I can manipulate the bitmaps on stage so it looks skewed but views properly when I test it at 100% viewing,... but if anyone were to zoom in, it would look completely skewed. What's up with this? Again, when I set the viewing quality option to "low" in the test area, it looks as it does on the stage. But I can't seem to publish it with the "low" setting and get what I see in the "low" setting of the testing area. Why can't this be more simple???