A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Best way to list pricing...

If I have a item for $15, or two for $28.50... which is better to say... save 5% or $1.50? (The prices would be higher, like from 25 to 475....

Thanks for your input!

One day older, one day wiser rafiki55's Avatar
    i'm thinking 5% sounds a bit better.

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Don't let 'em know the hard numbers - make 'em call you for more details - it's what I don't understand about some customers we have - they put everything about their business on the site. Why? What's the point of having people in the office after that? Nobody'll be needed to answer the phone, 'cause nobody'll be calling for more info - and opening themselves up to a sales close opportunity, 'cause all the info's on the site and the decision to buy (or not) is then completely in the user's hands.

hurricane, I see where you're coming from, but I want to list the prices!

Anyone else want to give me their input?

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Originally posted by kandieman101
    hurricane, I see where you're coming from, but I want to list the prices!

Anyone else want to give me their input?
    I think the decision to list prices has been made

Hmmmm....
    I never list pricing anywhere.
    It seems cheap, and I like the aura of "If you have to ask..."

And besides, pricing is semi-confidential to me.
    I have certain hourly rates, but work by a law of averages and other considerations to determine pricing. And I like being able to raise/lower my pricing per market demand and not be stuck with what my website said last week. And what happens when you get too busy to take on a new client at the price posted on your website? Do you just say "sorry, I'm too busy"? That is a cardinal sin in my book. I like being able to say, "Yes, I can squeeze you in as a managed project." And what that means is I provide technical direction and project management and slap a couple subcontractors on the actual workload. That costs much more, since I have to pay the subcontractors plus make a premium on their time as well as bill for mine. A cookie-cutter solution will stop you dead in your tracks.

It seems you deal with templates and prefab solutions, so I'm not going to dock you for wanting to post fixed prices. But I deal with custom sites for individual clients with individual needs so, for that across the board pricing would be prohibitive.

But, I will caution you here and now that by posting a bunch of cheap prices for a site in a box, you should expect a bunch of cheap clients wanting a happy meal. Not my cup of tea, but that's just me.