A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash versions

bit of a silly question but would be nice to know for sure.

If I design a movie in MX, can others view this over the net if they have earlier versions of Flash Player or must they download the latest plugin?

I'm asking because I am creating a moviein MX with a scrollbar (from Components menu)for a small company and I know that if I have to redirect people to a download because they have Flash5 plgin, for instance, , the boss won't go for the idea.

Thanks for any replies.

Yes you can export a .swf to a Flash 1 version if you'd like. Just look in the publish settings.

if you are using the components then flash 6 player is needed...i dont think it would be a bother if people wouild download...i mean it hardly takes a minute or so

Oh sorry didn't see that part (components). If i were you i would just create a scrolling text box without using components. I do not design for Flash 6 if I am designing for a client, and i don't suggest you do either. I still design for Flash 4, Unless it's unavoidable. Most people will be turned away if they see that they need to download something.

mustafapracha - thanks, but I know the boss of this company - he's a very 'traditional' person when it comes to websites.... if it doesnt just load then he's not interested and he's bound to think that people will not view the site if they have to go and download something first.
    Translucentdesign - thanks also, and I think that's going to be the best solution - shame really, those new scrollbars are pretty neat and the dynamic text box with instance variable for content would have solved the problem!

thanks for the advice...