A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fscommand and exec

ok i'm having problems, creating a stand alone application all is well..everything is done..except for the Fscommand..
    and exec function. this is what i have done.

1. Add event, on press
    2. add action , fscommand
    3. command exec
    4. argument c:\fastdc.exe

so then it reads
    on (press)
    FS Command("Exec", "c:\fastdc.exe")

5.then i create a standalone player the flash player.
    6.click on the button (with the FScommand) within the player nothing happens...

what am i doing wrong???

please help..
    [Edited by John1234 on 07-27-2002 at 06:04 AM]

hi,

are you sure that fastdc.exe isn't located in a subfolder??

i'd copy fastdc.exe and place it into the same folder as the swish movie. delete the C:\ in your command path and see if it works.

didn't work!!

Thanks lys12

it didn't work..:0(

any other ideas,

please help

Please help me!!!

anyone...i have spent ages on this...

Go to the Tools menu and selcet Preferences. Try playing with the "Load Movie from Folder" option. I'm pretty sure that when I was having the same problem, changing that selection fixed it for me.

Hope this helps

Which version of the player are you using (i.e., 5,6)?

Your Flash/Swish SWF and EXE files need to be associated with that player.

To associate your files from (Win 2K) Windows Explorer, click on the SWF file then from the menu choose Tools > Folder Options > File Types (locate the SWF and EXE extensions for Flash) and then highlight the file (each one seperately), then click the change button to find the Flash Standalone Player and click OK.

If this doesn't resolve you problem, let us know and we'll see what else we can come up with to help.

Never mind

No chaps that didn't work either i'm running flash player 6 all files are associated with this because where i work, they have ten copies of Macromedia flash MX!! (very lucky) but i prefer Swish becuase i find it easier..so they bought me copy..(lucky me)

I have messed around with the preferences no luck..i have even tried just creating another movie with just a piece of text and fscommand still no luck, also i have tried different files with different locations and still does not execute...

Thanks for your responses guys any other ideas...

Are we at least on the right track with the problem?
    I mean is the problem that you can't seem to associate the SWF and projector file to the player?

If so, the only other thing I can think of is to reinstall Swish on top of the old version. Don't uninstall just reinstall again so you don't have any problems with serial numbers.

Hi Lisa

Lisa,

Thanks for your help so far, The association with swf is fine and runs in Flash player, and when i create a standalone projector exe file it is fine as well, the problem is when running fscommands to run seperate exe programs like for example winzip.exe and i click on the link, nothing happens the program does not execute.

on (press)
    FS Command("Exec", "Winzip.exe")

that should work right?? but it doesn't

:0(

John1234,

Well glad to hear you can at least see the SWFs and the projector file but as far as FSCommands are concerned, I have only used them on a few occassions and never to open another program.

If you don't get any help here you may wish to take a look at Cadence's site at http://www.swish-tutorials.com, he's very good with everything Swish and much of Flash or you could try Ziggy's site over at http://www.total-impact.com

Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

Was having the same problem.

Info found at http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...projectors.htm

In Macromedia Flash MX the external application must be in a subfolder named 'fscommand'. This subfolder must be in the same directory as the projector which uses the fscommand action. This security restriction helps prevent malicious use of the exec option.

The following script launches the Windows application someApplication.exe, which is in the fscommand folder on the same level as the projector:

on (release) {
    fscommand ("exec", "someApplication.exe");
    }
    Note: The fscommand subfolder path is not used in the argument. Place someApplication.exe inside the fscommand folder, but just use the name of the application in the argument.

Flash 5 is different.

Cheers!!! Zerok That worked!!!

Cheers!!! Zerok That worked!!!

One more problem though (sorry) how do you do sub folders within the Fscommand folder?? because i have alot of files that need to be in subfolders..

any ideas??

Just for more info

i have checked the the tech notes on macromedia and it says how to do it in flash 5 but not 6

I have placed the EXE in the Fscommand folder and executed it and it has worked but if i create a sub folder ie Fscommand\programs
    then place FastDC.exe within the programs folder what do i then put in my Exec Fscommand...??

i have tried the following..

\programs\fastdc.exe
    .\programs\fastdc.exe
    ..\programs\fastdc.exe
    /programs/fastdc.exe
    ./programs/fastdc.exe
    ../programs/fastdc.exe

please help...we are half way there!!!

please help me

please help..

have you tried?

programs\fastdc.exe

ohh well!!

that didn't work either..!!
    nightmare..

any other ideas

I'm having the same sort of problem, but I'm not as sorted out as john, i looked at the macromedia help file, but i don't understand what or where the projector IS.

what is the actual folder where /FSCOMMAND should be in?
    (providing i used all the default locations when installing flash mx and player6)

thx 4 ur time

please don't give up!!

please don't give up!! help

Originally posted by johnjohnbongo
    I'm having the same sort of problem, but I'm not as sorted out as john, i looked at the macromedia help file, but i don't understand what or where the projector IS.

what is the actual folder where /FSCOMMAND should be in?
    (providing i used all the default locations when installing flash mx and player6)

thx 4 ur time
    You have to put all the files you want to link to your projecter file in a folder called "fscommand" but you dont need to add that to your argument as that is where it looks by default.

Yeah, it's a bit dodge. I haven't been able to work out how to exec from subfolders. The only way I can see atm, is to use Flash 5.

You would think they would make a way to do it from MX. There's not even mention of the fscommand folder in MX help. I also don't like how you have to use the folder 'fscommand', they could've thought of a better name

Can't complain too much. Might go back to Flash 5.