A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash5--ASP--Access Help!

Hi,

I have set up an Access database that has its contents displayed in my Flash interface via an ASP script. I am wishing that the user can browse through the entries and select an associated file to download. Usually I would use GetURL to perform this function but it is slightly trickier in that each file is associated with an entry in the database. Any Suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

i think you'd have to make another table in your this with the links to whatever files that go with the entries that the user is looking at and then do some relationship stuff or something..

errr checkout the asp section at http://www.codingforums.com/

Thanks for your suggestion, I think it makes sense to place the path name of the relevent file into a table in the database. The problem is that when I try to 'fetch' the file from its path, the path is displayed as text in my interface.

I noticed in another posting of a similar nature the suggested use of 'LoadMovie'. Does anyone have any further ideas on this?

Thanks again

P.S. I am aware that Access is not ideal for concurrent users, however this is a project to help me learn Flash. really I would rather use MySql or similar

Hi,

once you have a path in your text box...
    If it is a movie, the loadmovie action is a candidate
    Otherwise, if you set your text box to html, the movie or the server can put standard <a href= stuff around your file name
    Also, if you are learning, why dont you just buy apache, php and mysql for your machine (it is an affordable $0.00 altogether)

Musicman

Hi,

Thanks for your advice and I'll give that a try right now.

Also, in your reply you mentioned that Apache etc is an offrdable £0.00 - I think you might have missed off some digits - no? Is it really free? I am using Windows ME (I know - again it is not ideal), so do you think that would work?

Or it sounds like you need to add the file url as a field in the table (or linked table) and bring the url as a separate variable with the filename.

thanks for your help everyone - it works now! It's always something simple isn't it?!

In Access: use <a href="filepath etc..

In Flash: set the dynamic text field as HTML