dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: heres an easy one for you smart guys

I am trying to get a dot like effect where the dots fade in and then back out in a random order. Heres the part that has me all goofed up i want them to trace an object like an outline. A good example of what i'm trying to get at is in the header for http://www.hostrocket.com . the waty the dots fade around the planet and the guy. i want it to be random though cause i think the effect will be cooler. But i'd settle for just some kind of idea as to how the effect was achieved.

dunno but try this in the actionscript section if you get no more replies... probably some good way of doing this with mostly actionscript..

The way I would accomplish this is to create several mc's of the dots zooming around your logo. Put a stop(); action on the first frame of each movie clip and draw your dots either freeform, or use a motion guide if you desire the dot to travel on an arc.

Name your movie clips something like 'zoom1' thru 'zoomx' (where x is the number of clips you have created).

From here you could use a random function to pick a number from 1 to x (again where x is the number of clips you have created). Then have zoomX play.

While this is 'somewhat' random in the fact that it will randomly play defined mc's you could get more into Actionscript to take one movie clip and rotate it, change the position, size, etc. And make it truly random.

Let us know if this works for you!
    -John

thanks guys

good call. I have been out of the loop for awhile and am trying to get back to where i was when i last used it. The idea you had is great and will work out just right. I am working on making some cool stuff and when its done I'll be sure to let everyone know how it turned out. but until then thanks for the ideas and taking the time to help.