A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Load Movie command question

In the load movie dialog box where you input the URL. What does the "Level" option do?

Lets you layer the movies that you load. Its basically your z-index.

You could do an animation in Kool Moves and then import a Swish text effect. You could also have QT ,MP3 sound, ETC load in the higher level.

The background-Image/Color on layer 0 will be the background of the other layers so remember that.

Ok. I think I understand. Although I have no clue what a "z-index" is.

I am wanting to use this command to make a better preloader. So setting the main movie I want loaded to level 1 is the way to go correct? As long as the movie I'm loading is set to preload 100%. What happens to the preload movie, does it simply drop off at some point?

The X axis is the horizontal positioning of a point, the Y axis is the verticle, The z-index or z axis is the depth. This comes into play when we are talking about objects in 3-D. It is a statistical and mathmatical term used to model 3 axis graphically.

It carried over into web design when CSS layering was implemented by IE explorer. Netscape also uses it but calls it Layers. Layer 0 has a lower Z index then Layer 1 hence layer one is closer to the viewer.

Netscape and IE explorer access the DOM in diffrent ways and this is just an example of it. This difference was partially due to the fued between Microsoft and Netscape. The end result is that Netscape and Microsoft browsers will display errors on each others pages depending on which browser the DHTML was written. This is one of the things prompted that prompted the W3C to release its working draft of XHTML 1 and claim it to be the new Web Standard This is what all the Hub-bub about XML is about. XHTML is short for XML-HTML. The W3C said that HTML should be a subset as XML as the new Web standard. They also reworked Java Script and renamed it.

Microsoft, those slick devils, keeps implementing their own closed extensions to HTML like VML which no one else has implemented. That means that if you want to veiw a page with VML on it you must have IE explorer (5.5 I believe although 5.0 might support it) to veiw it. They have also done simular things on the server side- Front Page has features that only work on MS Servers.

Hope I didn't confuse you and sorry about the long answer.

Thanks for the answer.

Is my basic theory on how to create the preloader and make it work correct?

I think it should be, I've never loaded a movie larger than the movie loading into it. I would use the get URL to do that.