dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: OpenGL and NVidia?

Does anyone know if the NVidia GeForce4 series of cards work with all of the 3D programs? I remember seeing that Maya or Max required an OpenGL compatible card, but its list stopped at the GeForce3 stuff. Being lazy, I didn't go back to verify which of them had the long list of cards, omitting the most recent 4-level GeForces.

I already know that Swift3D doesn't use the hardware at all.

Don

as long as you stick with direct3D and openGL - upwards to 1.3, then yes. none of the geforce cards are 1.4 openGL spec'd out, like some other cards, but you'll be ok.

honestly, if it supports geforce3, you'll find geforce4 also supported.

hope that helps.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was worried because Maya lists the GeForce2 and GeForce3 as "not qualified" for their software.

I was thinking about getting the Plasma package, anyway, so this prolly doesn't apply at all.

Thanks again,
    Don

you'll find a lot of cards are "not qualified" for maya, but they still work. you will not get full support of the openGL niceties, but it will work - friend of mine runs Maya 3.0 on an athlon with a geforce3, with no problems.

however, plasma, runs great on a geforce3, I know that from direct experience.

Originally posted by gerbick
    I know that from direct experience.
    Direct3d that is....LoL...I crack myself up.

3D Professor
    I've never cared for the GeForce cards for modeling and animation.
    I'm a 3D Labs user for life.
    I've used one of their lower end cards (Oxygen VX-1) for quite a while and was very happy.
    Recently I saved up and purchased a Wildcat 5110 on E-bay and am just amazed. The price was high, but definitely worth it.

But again...these cards are not meant for gaming.
    Games are for kids anyway :-P

FK's resident Kungfu Master
    if u think u're too old for games, then u're probably a really really old person how boring would computer world be without games... besides, some of the best application of 3D is in gaming... imagine playing a 3D game with the quality that takes hours to render with the current technology in REALTIME!!! if u aren't interested in that then i don't consider u to be a real 3D artist...

3D Professor
    HAHA.
    I was only kidding.

I'm seriously addicted to Halo.
    I'm involved in a weekly gaming night were 16 of us get together and it's an all out war.

I just don't play games on my PC.

Wink

I'd have to agree with 3d theory's comment about nvidia; dead good for shunting zillions of polygons but in my experience they are not so great for other things, apps that might require a high standard of image qualtiy for example.

BTW- anyone who says games are for kids hasn't played ********** over a LAN. Its a blessing! That's where the gforce's crunching power comes into its own and no mistake

I have one machine that has a GLinT GMX2000 +Delta in one machine, and I have a SGI dually 320 with the Cobalt graphic subsystem... and they both are outspec'd by the geforce3/4 in OpenGL marks... scary eh?

yeah, I was a GLinT person, until they started to lose to the cheaper, videogame cards from Nvidia.

maybe the next iteration(s) of 3D Labs stuff will be awesome.

I have the nVIDIA GeForce 4 MX and it works pretty good with both Maya and 3d Studio Max. But I also heard it needs soem driver updates, I downloaded the latest nvidia driver. The DetonatorXP and it has been working fine.

Trust me..if you get GFTI4600..you will eat all other competition out... it is not meant for only gaming...this is Nvidia after all..and this baby moves 3D like a chipmunk

BTW...my proffesional gaming team here in norway consists of people at age 20,23 and 28 ... so there you go !!!
    And we make money doing it....ooo how fun !!

The GeForce I was looking at was the Ti4200, on the most recent system. Think that'll do the trick? It's +$160 from that for the Ti4600. Both are 128MB. Is the 4600 worth the extra bucks?

Thanks everyone for the discussion. This has helped me decide... well, ALMOST decide.

Regards,
    Don

Probably not...its not that big difference between 4400 and 4600...the price range is too wide to be worth buying 4600

Both of the are good, and they work almost the same.
    Like Johnny Shiro says, there is no much difference between them, and the price is very high for the 4600