A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: got a question-me is kinda ignorant

Smile

Ok, this is a question for manga and anime experts.

We all now they come from Japan,but I don't understand how was it born? I mean, how did japanesse drawings evolved to manga style: you know: big eyes, little pointy nose, lots of hair. Maybe I'm wrong, but japannesse don't look like that (specially the eyes)....

hmmm.....did you understand what i'm trying to ask?

Originally posted by argonauta
    I mean, how did japanesse drawings evolved to manga style: you know: big eyes, little pointy nose, lots of hair.
    You guys are probably more experts at this than I am, but I seem to recall reading or hearing that the Japanese were very influenced by early Disney animation, and the big eyes were largely influenced by Bambi, of all things.

manga! manga! Th e World Of Japanese Comics

Hi i just got a book today (had 2 order it) from the library on manga art by Frederik l schodt

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

just searched for it on google hes some mange expert from what i can gather from the results

ive not read it yet but i'll let u know if i find anything out, mb some links from the above will be of use, seem like he knows his stuff

bp

I went to a pretty cool Manga/Anime inspired exhibit in Chicago not long ago... they talked about the style being heavily influenced by a couple of factors; one was the influx of cheap american comic books into Japan after WWII. Another big factor was the concept of 'cuteness' (I've forgotten what the Japanese word for it is). The idea was to make everything conform to the sort of universal concepts of cute (think Hello Kitty). That's where great big eyes, small noses and mouths, and sort of rounded figures come from.

Originally posted by CNO
    You guys are probably more experts at this than I am, but I seem to recall reading or hearing that the Japanese were very influenced by early Disney animation, and the big eyes were largely influenced by Bambi, of all things.
    It would be a little ironic right? Nowadays everybody is watching anime 'cause it's original, and specially 'cause it's different from Disney style. Ironic that anime was inspired by Disney!

I think manga is so successfull because:
    -of the cute style...and also the sexiness of the girls in manga.
    -almost every manga has a good story and character design behind them.
    -it has been a good way to introduce a little bit of japanesse culture.
    -manga is drawn like a storyboard for a movie, which leads to a better designed story, more fantastic and visual!

Originally posted by argonauta
    It would be a little ironic right? Nowadays everybody is watching anime 'cause it's original, and specially 'cause it's different from Disney style. Ironic that anime was inspired by Disney!
    Especially when you consider that many of there recent movies are rehashes of classic anime (Lion King - Kimba; Atlantis - Nadia).