A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: flash detection & line 4 char 5 expected statement error

hey:

i'm using the flash deployment kit to detect for flash 6. i have windows 2000, using ie 6.0.2600.000 and i have flash win 6,0,40,0 installed and the flash detection works. however, another person at work has the same setup and when they try to access my flash page online the page doesn't load and a yellow error "!" appears in the lower left of the browser. when i click on it i get the following message "enter.html line 4 char 5 expected statement".

has anyone ever gotten this error before? if so, any resolution? its very frustrating because i can't replicate the the problem on my machine.

thanks in advance
    -kim

post the url

the url for the flash dispatch is
    http://www.edtech.vt.edu/kimtester/M4C3Try2/enter.html

thanks
    -kim

check the plugin detect module at the lab - the link is below - for an alternate script - does other plugins as well

cheers
    henry

Originally posted by EQFlash
    post the url
    i also just uploaded the macromedia flash deployment kit to the server - didn't do anything to it. its at
    http://www.edtech.vt.edu/kimtester/F...kit/enter.html

he gets the line 4 char 5 expected statement error, but it works fine for me.

Originally posted by kgansepo
    the url for the flash dispatch is
    http://www.edtech.vt.edu/kimtester/M4C3Try2/enter.html

thanks
    -kim
    -As far as I can tell there is some sort of incompatibility with the flash dispatch and IE 6.0.26. I downloaded their flash detector kit (didn't alter it at all )& uploaded it to our server and some people with IE 6.0.26 can view it while others receive the error. So instead I am using the detect for Flash template that is in the Flash MX publishing options.

SOL

I tried it as well - no matter what, I try to make it detect for flash 6 and when the client is using flash 5 it still goes to the same page. I've tried to find a way to get feedback to macromedia on this including their forums but have gotten no response. I have seen some alternative detectors but they only work on some platforms - at this point though - that is better than I'm doing with macromedia's solution so I might consider them. Too bad Macromedia doesn't come here to see how many times the same issues on this are posted.

Re: SOL

Originally posted by boe_d
    I tried it as well - no matter what, I try to make it detect for flash 6 and when the client is using flash 5 it still goes to the same page. I've tried to find a way to get feedback to macromedia on this including their forums but have gotten no response. I have seen some alternative detectors but they only work on some platforms - at this point though - that is better than I'm doing with macromedia's solution so I might consider them. Too bad Macromedia doesn't come here to see how many times the same issues on this are posted.
    thanks for letting me know that this is a known problem. i thought i was going crazy.
    -kim

no problem - I'm glad to find out I'm not the crazy one either.

I just wish I had an answer for us. As soon as I get any feedback from Macromedia, I'll post it here.

I haven't gotten any feedback yet but I did discover the issue for my particular problem - MY BAD. Even though I was testing the computer with the flash 5 ocx, it had some remnants of flash mx in the registry that were making it flake out in the test.

I have no idea how my test will work on a mac or many other combinations but it did work on a computer using ie6 and flash5.