A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: buttons and masks

how the heck do i get a mask show propertly on a button?

HELP>>>ACTIONSCRIPT DICTIONARY
    Masks don't work inside of buttons symbols.

However, nobody said that a button has to be a button symbol. You can make an "invisible" button, that is, a button with only the hit state defined. Drop that into a movieClip symbol and use the button functionality as you would normally, except you will use the button states to control other movieClips, which can have masks. Just keep in mind that you can't directly target movieclips under a mask, you have to put the movieClip you want to control inside of a "holder" movieclip that is under the mask.

So,

on(rollover){
    _root.holderClipUnderMask.clipToControl.whatever;
    }

as opposed to

on(rollover){
    _root.clipToControlUnderMask.whatever;
    }

Making buttons in this way basically means you have to be creative with AS to do some things that are built into the "button" symbol. To be honest I don't think I have made an actual button in ages, most of my buttons are buttonClips, as the term has gone around.

I don't know exactly why you need a mask inside of the button so I can't be more specific to your project but perhaps the above information will be helpful.

Good Luck in any event!

it just got pissed off becose of the mask....
    and i'm to lazy to add 2 more lines of AS
    anyway im a newbie and i realy don't get the
    holderClipUnderMask.clipToControl part
    what is holderClipUnderMask?
    and then what is clipToControl?

HELP>>>ACTIONSCRIPT DICTIONARY
    What is holderClipUnderMask?

If you make a mask and then put a movieclip "under" it and then try to use AS to address that clip you won't be able to. A movieclip directly placed underneath the mask layer is not directly accessible by AS, soo
    << you have to put the movieClip you want to control inside of a "holder" movieclip that is under the mask.>>
    holderClipUnderMask would be whatever you named that "holder" clip.

[b]What is clipToControl?[b]

The name of the movieclip you want to control that is sitting inside of the "holder" clip.

Maybe the buttonClip idea is a little advanced for you, there are a lot of little things to deal with. If I get some time today and *I* am not too lazy, perhaps I'll make you a demo to show you what I am talking about.