dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: DynamicTextFieldScroll

Talking

I have a dynamic text field with a variable name of "news".

I have an #include statement calling an external .as file called "pirnie.as".

#include "C:/almost_there/pirnie.as"
    //inside the .as file the variable news is defined

So all the text from pirnie.as dynamicly loads into my text field, making it easy for others to input information into the field without having Flash.

I'm using some basic html tags to shape the text in the .as file. It looks great! BUT, when I go to make this field scrollable, it wont work. Why?? Anyone know what I'm doing wrong???

well a hack is to just put a bunch of returns after your #include AS. enough to extend past the height of your scrollbar (I'm assuming you're using the component).

So am I to assume that the scroll component will not scroll text that has been dynamicly input?

And when you say put a bunch of returns after the #include actionScript, you mean after the variable is defined in the .as put all the returns there? Like:
    news = "blah blah blah...

//a bunch of returns

"
    Because I have paragraphs of text, plenty enough to extend past the height of the field. I was wondering if it's not working because of the html tags in the .as
    Ex. news = "<b>THIS IS TEXT</B> THIS IS MORE...."

i'm sure that macromedia method is better. the problem i was running into before was ensuring i had enough scroll space so that all my dynamic text would fit in there, for all the different dynamic text sets I was loading in that textfield. i havent' tested this method's approach, but hopefully it will dynamically update the scroll space for you each time the text changes. the hack i was refering to earlier was a way to just set the scroll space as large (statically) so no matter what was in there the scrolling space would be the same. and to do it you put the returns after the #include, not in the txt file itself.

Awesome!!! I got it working now! Thank you both!

Pheck,

there is a different solution to a scrollbar and that is scrolling with buttons. That should be endless. I made a little tutorial on that.
    http://www.stormpages.com/cancerinfo...amic_font.html

ci-
    thanks. did you do that in MX? i'm interested in dynamic updating of MX's scrollbar component. thanks again.

This is all for MX. Here are some more tutorials. There is one for a textfield using xml with scrollbars. All files can be downloaded.

http://www.stormpages.com/cancerinfo...flashspot.html