dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: tv dinners and the web; or, the effects of UI templates and the design industry

tv dinners and templates

========
    from FlashDavo:
    but I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with the idea of Flash "templates" and their effect on the industry as a whole. That idea of selling a pre-fabricated site for a client's specific online communication requirements...
    ========

I'll be the first to say I don't think these things detract from the design community, nor do they threaten the integrity of the work or the market for designers/developers.

Similar to the TV dinner, these templates are quick, efficient solutions that are often times bland and indistinguishable from one to another if looked at in the context of a group, or whole.

While some people cook, others hire chefs, and others go out, perhaps these templates are for those customers who need a site in three minutes without stirring.

I guess it comes down to personal preference, but I know I wouldn't use them, nor would I put any clients onto them.

You're right in that they don't detract from the design community, just as tv dinners do not detract from the fine dining industry.

But to stick with your analogy of the tv dinners, they taste like crap, except at 3.00am after a night of liver damage at the nearest pub.
    So does that mean templates taste/look like crap too?

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Originally posted by chook
    ... So does that mean templates taste/look like crap too?
    Like FrontPage for Flash - cold, impersonal, characterless. Wouldn't recommend them to someone I didn't like, let alone a friend (of course, my opinion might be biased), BUT - the price is right for a lot of folks.

Read the other thread http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=350397 for a more detailed discussion on this issue.