dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Is there a way to check for an Internet connection?

If I have a local Flash file on a laptop, that when connected to the web performs a certain function, but when not the function does not happen, is there a way to detect the connection for this purpose?

As far as I know there's no direct way, but you could cheat by attempting to download a very small file from the web, if it hasn't loaded in, say, 5 seconds then you can assume that the user is not connected at the moment.
    Hopefully Flash7 will throw exceptions so that we can track errors properly

some 3rd party tools like flashstudio and swfstudio do provide such functionalities to ur projectors where u can check if the computer is connected and its IP address and stuff..
    aLi

Be careful.

Test it more throughly before you purchase. I didnt tried swf studio but the last time I try flash studio it so called connected is only connected to somthing but not necessary internet. It will report connected if your computer is connected to a lan, another computer or even a single hub without other connection. I dont know if they have improved it or not so you better test it yourself.

Actaully I also want to add this function to my product for long but I cant find a easy way to do so. The best window API is offering is same as what I mentioned above. I decided not to add it as it sometime is misleading. I may add a function to let user to try to connect to HTTP / FTP server and see if it success later.

Developer
    Originally posted by TheOriginalFlashDavo
    If I have a local Flash file on a laptop, that when connected to the web performs a certain function, but when not the function does not happen, is there a way to detect the connection for this purpose?

create a text file and put it on the web: iTest.txt

put an empty movieclip somewhere:

Code:
    //frame 1
    connection = new loadVars();
    connection.load("http://mycompany.com/make_sure/to_use_the/full_path/iTest.txt"};
    connection.onLoad = function() {
         connected = 1;
    }
    Code:
    //frame 5 or somewhere around there
    if (connected) {
         _root.yourFunction();
    } else {
         _root.yourOtherFunction();
    }