dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: More Americans are willing to pay for content

The Minister of No Crap

I read this interesting article on News.com.

It basically says that there has been a 155% increase in the amount of Americans paying for online content from last year. I find this interesting because so many people are willing to pay for something on the web. I know that there are plenty of people who will never get away from the "everything should be free" mentality, but more and more people are willing to pay for content.

Currently I'm offering articles, reviews, tutorials, etc. on my site for free, but it would definitely be a dream to make some money off the site.

Anyone in a similar situation or have some thoughts on the issue?

-scott
    http://www.scottmanning.com/

Paying for content and services on the internet is growing and becoming more accepted. The fears associated with online transactions is starting to settle and people are becoming comfortable with it.

The main problem I think that affects us is when a site has been free for a long period of time and then switches to a paid service. It's those instances that people do not like because they get into the mentality that it was free at one time and now the owners are just getting greedy. While that's not true, people just don't always realize that it does cost money to runa website... Especially one that provides services or that requires a lot of work to run.

I don't think the "pay for content" principle is a bad idea. I think used in the right situation it's a great idea. It's just a matter of making sure the content is worth being paid for... And that's the obstacle that you have to overcome when you are wanting to launch a paid service. People aren't going to pay for something they don't want.

I'd pay for content as long as I was asured 100% that I wouldn't be acousted by any ads.

What I wouldn't be willing to pay for is the same content with the same intrusive ads.

The Minister of No Crap

Originally posted by [-S|NiStEr_MiNd-]
    The main problem I think that affects us is when a site has been free for a long period of time and then switches to a paid service. It's those instances that people do not like because they get into the mentality that it was free at one time and now the owners are just getting greedy.
    I agree, but there are some cases where its not avoidalbe.

What I was thinking is if I was ever going to charge for any content on my site, it would be breed of content that I never offered before. This would be in addition to the regular content that has always been free.

-scott

Originally posted by nocrapchurch
    I agree, but there are some cases where its not avoidalbe.

What I was thinking is if I was ever going to charge for any content on my site, it would be breed of content that I never offered before. This would be in addition to the regular content that has always been free.

-scott
    And what your suggesting isn't really far off from what I said. You are offering something new for a fee. I was refering more to having the content and then one day deciding to start charging for what was originally free. That's what people don't like to see.