A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Hosting Companies

resolved

Hi there,

I was wondering if people could post any information they find out about companies beginning to offer shared hosting on the new MX servers. So far, I only know of webtemple.com. It would be nice to know what the choices are and any early experiences people have with the services.

Best regards,
    Stacy

flashing since v3
    http://www.mediatemple.net/services/...an-pricing.php

media temple do flash comm server hosting but DO NOT go with them....

they charge too much for a service that is bound to exploit the pockets of webdesigners....

my suggestion.... if you have broadband (ADSL) running at 256Kbs you can host your own 'deploy package'

I know a guy that owns http://www.hosttoday.co.uk and he's got the best deals going at the moment for reseller packages, and hosting w/ php mysql capabilities.... same amount of bandwidth... at a 5th of the price... with 100% uptime so far in its time of service.... MT can only really claim 99% anyway coming off the subject....

he installs software onto the machines.. so im going to plead with him to get the flash comm server software up on them

i'll keep you all posted... its going to end up to be much cheaper... but....

DONT LET THESE BIG WEBHOSTING COMPANIES RIP YOU OFF!!!

PERIOD>>>>>>>>> .

Senior Moderator
    I have spoken to numerous people whom host their flashcomm applications on Media Temple and nobody has told me anything short of brilliant service, support and quality.

The Media Temple guys are great and also they are backed by Macromedia with their Flashcomm Hosting Venture.

On another note, its impossible for any company to claim 100% uptime, because their are always problems way out of their control, DNS, Telephone Network, Fire, Floods and other such natural disasters, Media Temple are just being honest as opposed to telling their customers they can provide them with something they can not fulfill.

flashing since v3
    i said "100% uptime so far in its time of service"

i fully understand the 99% thing... and i didnt mean to drag MT into it....

but still 100% uptime for 1 yr is an amazing feat.

all that was meant to indicate was.... its not only the big names that provide excellent hosting...

SO DONT PAY BIG NAME PRICES

im a very happy customer of HT... and not a fan of MT cos they're ripping people off....

its not only opinion... the facts are there... but i'd really hate to get into a fame war or anything...

so i've said my piece and i'll keep you updated on prices

caithness massiv
    offdahook :

firstly, DO NOT keep us updated on prices... this forum is not an advertising mechanism for hosting companies...

now, have you personally hosted anything at (mt) ??? have you ever actually done ANYTHING with that company ???

the reason i ask is that it's not right to bash a company, esp if you haven't worked with them

on another note, i have personally met the guys at (mt) and let me tell you, they are not in the business of "ripping people off" and charging "big name prices" as you put it

they are a trusted partner of macromedia, and highly respected in the web industry... they provide a great service and try their hardest to keep their customers extremely happy

and frankly, i don't think the prices (mt) are charging are all that steep anyway!

also, about the whole "uptime" thing you've hastily brought up... you should also note that on the main page of http://www.mediatemple.net is a big graphic that says "network uptime or you don't pay" ... that seems pretty solid to me

tell em steve

mediatemple is rarely down. i mean, you might be able to find a host that charges $2 a month or something, but the rule of "you get what you pay for" ALWAYS applies. I own my own hosting company, and if you charge $2 month, you will never get a profit, thus you get no support, no updated servers, no special anything.... YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!! ALWAYS

Josh Dura

Maya * ActionScript Addict DangerAhead's Avatar

Okay, let's keep it business like in here

Steve, sounded like you took it personally that some guy said don't go with (mt), since you know them and all.

offthehook's etitled to his/her opinion that they're too expensive, and 99% uptime is not an insult.

I host with (mt) too and I've sometimes been given the runaround.
    I was on the beta team for Tincan and I couldn't get them to put me up for some stuff I was trying to build no matter how hard I tried because I was added to the testers late.

IMHO: They're only human, but then again they're the best and only FlashComm Servers right now.

The real answer is:

It's still too soon to rate any hosting company over the other when there's only one.

caithness massiv
    i didn't take it personal... and i could care less if someone decides to go with hosting company X over Y

but i think it was a childish thing to attack a reputable company on a forum like this and make claims that don't really exist

and you're right... it's really too soon to start comparing companies because there's really nobody else hosting flashcomm yet

it will be interesting to see what competition arises in this niche market...

flashing since v3
    steve

im not attacking... and most definetely not trying to flame...
    im advising people that the prices arent worth the deal and to be careful

CAN YOU EVEN DENY THIS?

but they're the ones monopolising this particular market niche... and good luck to them... but as i said before its a bit steep for what its worth

i make a point about uptime... just a point that any hosting company can be reliable and preform well... and this is my only guess as to why MT decide they can charge so much... because they provide a quality service....

now dont get me wrong...

the best sites going on the net are all currently hosted by the likes of MT (2adv.com as u already know) and corbis

heh... and if i have caused any upset, it'd only be to spark a price war between the titan hosting companies

lets make sure they provide a fair deal here

--------------------------------- SUMMARY
    i can sure as hell place prices up here... im releasing information that is needed... i would in no way call that spamming... hosttoday.co.uk have sweet F.A. to do with me i mean they are hosting my .coms ... but they do offer some nice prices

when my porfolio site's up i'll be writing a report on the hotly discussed debate and you'll be able to see all the facts there

------------------------------- AND ALSO...
    *** almost spoke my own piece of mind there, had to delete it as to not upset anyone lol***

yeah in brief... steve.... please dont try to "down-play" anyone's opinions like that... cos it reads like you took it too seriously and personally ... so just chill
    lol wouldnt want to p*** off a moderator now would i? especially when i bought his product
    [Edited by offdahook on 08-02-2002 at 08:36 PM]

Senior Moderator
    A little word in your ear, offdahook, keep opinions that may offend others, whether individuals to yourself, or alteast dont broadcast them on public forums.

This discussion has gone way off topic, all the guy/gal wanted was a list of companies that host flashcomm applications, not peoples own opinions on whos cheaper and whos better and who sux, im sure he wanted to make his own mind up.

Thread closed.