A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Totally confusion. Flash video in a projector!!!

banned by dp
    Okay, I need to figure out how to use video for a cd rom presentation.

What are my options and what works best?

Let me give you my general understanding....

Flash MX, can embed video, but it is best suited for short clips. It basically lowers the quality making it pixelated, and it increases the memory by a huge amount.

Or I can link to a quicktime in MX, but then it must be exported as a quicktime file itself.

--The common wisdom is that director does video better. Why? I am not familiar with Director. I guess it links directly to external video clips and plays them as is. BUT....if this is for a cd rom, does the user need to already have quicktime installed??

Or do I have to add the quicktime player in the cd rom????

Is there such a thing as a quicktime exe. file?

Also, if I want to have the whole thing in flash, which I am comfortable with and is the best animation tool out there, but only use director for the bits of video here and there, how can I use both?

i.e. I have a powerpoint style presentation. On the third slide, when you click the next button, I want a quicktime video to play. If the first three slides are in flash, how can I tell the director movie to play the quicktime? And when it is done, how can I get back to the flash file?

Thanks.

Wildform Moderator
    Hi.
    You can use MX video to create CDs quite effectively. And the quality can be quite good, depending on how you create your MX video (the native MX video export from Flash MX is not that great).
    There are a couple of other things to keep in mind. Because of the way Flash works, when you have a SWF on CD, the Flash player loads the entire file into memory before it starts to play. So, depending on your computer's speed, ram, CD player speed, etc. your performance may vary. Consequently, we suggest not creating files larger than 25MB for use on a CD Rom. You can get around this limit by chaining your video swf's and loading them sequentially. Our software, Flix Pro, can do this for you automatically.
    Also, if you're going to make Mac projectors, you need to allocate enough RAM to your projector. When preparing a CD-ROM, the projector file needs to be allocated it's own size plus the biggest Flix file plus a couple of extra MB to be on the safe side. When the HFS volume is burnt onto CD it will inherit the memory settings you've specified.
    Hope this helps.
    jb
    http://www.wildform.com/flix