A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Is this a Flash MX or Swish issue?

Hello Swishers and MX'rs

As much as I'm learning to love swish, I need some help from someone who knows both flash and swish. Here is what's going on.

If you download http://www.swish-tutorials.com/forum...ion=file&id=26 and uncompress it, you will find 6 files.

External_Text_from_TXT.html
    External_Text_from_TXT.swf
    External_Text_from_TXT.swi
    loaded_text.txt
    load_from_txt.fla
    load_from_txt.swf

In summary, the HTML file contains the swish SWF with the same name. This SWF loads the flash file 'load_from_txt.swf' which in turn loads the text file 'loaded_text.txt'. This combination allows you to do what swish does not support, populate a scrolling text box from a text file. It even supports font formatting in the text file. Pretty cool right?

OK – if you open 'External_Text_from_TXT.swi' in swish you will find that it contains one Scene called 'Scene 1' and in that scene you have 'MySprite' which makes the call to load_from_txt.swf. with the following command:

'Load Movie "load_from_txt.swf" in level -1"

and this works great.

Now lets say you do the following:
    1) In Scene 1 insert a new sprite called 'foo'
    2) Select 'MySprite' and do a cut
    3) Paste Sprite 'MySprite into the sprite named 'foo'
    4) Export 'External_Text_from_TXT.swi' to 'External_Text_from_TXT.swf'
    5) Try and run it and it will not work

'MySprite' works perfect if it is in the root level of a scene but does not work if its within another sprite. To make this work – I'm not sure if the Actionscript in load_from_txt.fla needs to be modified in flash or something in the Load movie command needs to be changed in swish, but I'm lost

I've downloaded and installed a trial version of flash MX but have not had any luck getting this to work. Any takers?

The flash code I was able to find in the .fla file is noted below but having never use flash – I’m so lost

Actions for (No Instance name assigned) (Scroll down)
    onClipEvent ( enterFrame ) {
    if (lPressed) {
    _root.MySprite.TextBox.scroll += 1;
    }
    }

Actions for (No Instance name assigned) (Scroll up)
    onClipEvent ( enterFrame ) {
    if (lPressed) {
    _root.MySprite.TextBox.scroll -= 1;
    }
    }

Actions for Frame 1 of Layer Named Layer 1
    loadVariablesNum ("text1.txt", 0);
    [Edited by Cadence on 08-03-2002 at 05:50 AM]

Hi ---

I am not sure if I am completely following your problem, however, lately I have been using Flash MX to create items that can not be done in Swish (i.e. dynamic email, bytes remaining preloaders, etc) and then integrating them into the Swish movie. What I can tell you is that it takes a lot of tweaking with the path (i.e. _root.myMC) in order to get it to work correctly with Swish. Check out this thread that I posted and see if it provides any insight:

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=348770

Hope it helps.

Cheers.
    SDL

As swish doesn't have the capacity to handle those functions it's not a swish issue.

Swish can load swf's in other formats via sprites
    However if you are going to do that make sure that the embed object tag reflects the proper format so it can be understood by the player.

Functions that can only be used in swf5 or swf6 must have the proper embed tag to operate regardless of the base swf that may contain them.

Frets & Sleblang

Thank you both for your feedback on this Froday night. I reviewed Sleblang's post and I'm guessing that he's on the right track with the absolute path issue. One problem is that I am so Nieve with Flash MX that I could not even follow his simple explination. Secondly, if I could do it, I'm not sure if the sprite calling his file contained inside another sprite would work.

Sleblan, is here any way that you could post or send me the example you noted of the text box that would display the path so I could try it?

Thanks

Max

PS - PLease feel free to e-mail me at max@maximillian.ws if you have something that may help

Originally posted by Maximus300zx
    ...........PS - PLease feel free to e-mail me at max@maximillian.ws if you have something that may help

Hi Max ---

I sent you a zipped file with some files to your email. Let me know if you have any questions.

Don't bet the farm on this but...

_root.foo.MySprite.TextBox.scroll

You'll have to go thru & check all your actionscript & add foo as above.

Edit: oops! I read your post again, I had foo & MySprite backwards.
    Also, heres a tut by Cadence on external text files:
    http://www.swish-tutorials.com/forum...ion=file&id=26

[Edited by gjkillam on 08-03-2002 at 03:38 AM]

Firstly - Max ... I have changed the URL in your thread -- I do not appreciate my files being redistributed (for any reason) ... You can simply link to the page on my site that has these downloads.

This is the exact reason I put the Terms of Agreement before anyone is able to download the files:
    http://www.swish-tutorials.com/forum...e&id=1&file=26

Secondly, I have answered your original question here :
    http://www.swish-tutorials.com/forum...d.php?tid=1030

Brian

[Edited by Cadence on 08-03-2002 at 05:52 AM]