A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: videostream from external URL?

Hi folks!
    I think, I´ve heard FlashMX being able to stream video from any location...
    now, all I find about none-embedded video, is that you can stream something from your local web-cam to the swf...which unfortunately is not very helpful for my purposes...anyway, I got a mirror at my place for years, now

so, I would like to have my .swf´s on server A and would like to display some streams from server B to them.

can anybody tell me, if that´s possible at all?

thx a lot in advance

Importing QuickTime video clips as linked files

If you are importing a QuickTime video clip, you can choose to link to the video from the Flash movie, rather than embed the video. A linked QuickTime movie imported into Flash does not become part of the Flash file. Instead, Flash maintains a pointer to the source file.

If you link to a QuickTime video, you must publish the movie as a QuickTime movie. You cannot display a linked QuickTime movie in SWF format. The QuickTime movie contains a Flash track, but the linked video clip remains in QuickTime format. For more information on publishing your Flash file as a QuickTime movie, see Choosing publish settings for QuickTime 4 movies.

You can scale, rotate, and animate a linked QuickTime movie in Flash. However, you cannot tween linked QuickTime movie content in Flash.

To import a QuickTime video as a linked file:

Do one of the following:

To link the video clip directly to the current Flash document, choose File > Import.

To link the video clip to the library for the current Flash document, choose File > Import to Library.

In the Import Video dialog box, select Link to External Video File.

Previewing a linked QuickTime movie

When you import a linked QuickTime movie, only the first frame of the movie is displayed. You must add frames to the imported movie's Timeline in order to view additional frames of the movie in Flash.

To preview a linked QuickTime movie:

Add the number of frames to the Timeline that correspond to the length of the QuickTime movie you want to play.

Choose Control > Play.

Note: You cannot preview linked QuickTime movie content using the Test Movie command.

Setting the directory path of a linked QuickTime movie

You can set the directory path of a linked QuickTime video clip in the library for the current Flash document.

To set the directory path of a linked QuickTime video clip:

Choose Window > Library and select the linked QuickTime movie you want to edit.

In the options menu in the upper right corner of the Library panel, choose Properties.

Click Set Path in the Linked Video Properties dialog box.

In the Open dialog box, navigate to the file for the linked video clip and select it, then click Open.

In the Linked Video Properties dialog box, click OK.

-------------------------------------------------------
    Or import and Embedd a video into flash, publish as a .swf then in your main movie do a loadMovie

...thx for the quick feedback!
    The quicktime-solution doesn´t help in my situation, though, for I need to have interactivity in my project.

Basically I wanted to directly access videostreams on another server.
    Now, I´m going to create .swf´s on that server for each video and stream them into my _root...

thanks, anyway