A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: your work methods?

Hybrid View

just wondering guys, how do you go about a project?

do you start with sketches etc, then slowly work up to getting on the comp... or do you just get straight on the comp and play about until you have an idea?

it just got me wondering as i was having this conversation with a few friends. i tend to do a little bit of brainstorming etc on paper, but i mostly do my sketches and things in photoshop... then i do some basic stuff in flash just to get my ideas down, and then i go into it more 'full on'...

what about you lot?

are there any tricks you have found out about that make your life easier when first starting a project?

would this thread not be better in the boardroom ?

_
    1st: i think of what i like, my favorite colors, what would make it cool, what would make it different then other sites.. (if making it for myself)
    -if for client, i ask them and try to get as much detial as i can

2nd: i go to all my favorite sites, and list the things i like about them in my mind.

3rd: think of placment... where do i want the menu? the logo? the content? the audio player?

4th: Bring it to flash and photo shop and start makin it one effect/graphic at a time..

5th: i tend to work faster/better, when listing to fast/upbeat music... i find i like to listen to lit while designing..
    i also work better at night, im not sure why.. i just get my best ideas then

-mike
    [Edited by mikecoutermarsh on 08-05-2002 at 07:43 AM]

Originally posted by mikecoutermarsh
    1st: i think of what i like, my favorite colors, what would make it cool, what would make it different then other sites..

2nd: i go to all my favorite sites, and list the things i like about them in my mind.

3rd: think of placment... where do i want the menu? the logo? the content? the audio player?

4th: Bring it to flash and photo shop and start makin it one effect/graphic at a time..

5th: i tend to work faster/better, when listing to fast/upbeat music... i find i like to listen to lit while designing..
    i also work better at night, im not sure why.. i just get my best ideas then

-mike
    that all wastes time. just throw it all down in whatever program you are making it in.

Hmmm... before you even think about colours/images/design maybe you should be thinking about the goals of the client, the message and functionality you want to deliver to the end user, and the communication strategies behind these.

This medium is maturing, and every client corporate project(as distinct to an artistic piece) should have these considerations as its starting point.

_
    hmm, maby that works for u gloomy... i like to spent more time on my ideas..

FK's Official Cricket Eater. ViperGeckoFreak's Avatar
    davo is right..working with the client should come first.

_
    of course!, im not sure why i didnt put that in last night..

1st: discuss the needs of your client, get as much information as you can from them.. and then start to design

I agree with TheOriginalFlashDavo. I can't begin to design until I know the things he mentioned. I also find it helpful to first design the site architecture. Knowing the number of pages and subpages will effect how I lay out the navigational structure.

I start with some very rough sketches, just to get my ideas on paper. Once I'm happy with a few concepts, I'll comp in Photoshop and "play around" until I come up with a design I like.