A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Different between Flix and Flash MX

Hi ..

just have a query about wat is the final product for Flix n Flash MX? And if let said i am using Flash MX to do video streaaming (file about 100 MB), isit advisable?. Do i still need the quick time player or window media player to support the various file format?

Thanks!

Hope can get all ur suggeestion as soon as possible.

regards
    takashi

Wildform Moderator
    Flix is a Flash video encoder. Flash MX also has some video capabilities, though not nearly as many as Flix. For instance, Flix offers bitrate control, high resolution 2-pass VBR encoding, batch encoding, etc.
    If you encode your video into Flash, your end user does not need any other player - besides the flash player - to view the video.
    We recommend a 50 MB maximum size for files used on the web and 25 MB maximum size for files used on CD.
    jb

http://www.wildform.com/flix

Maya * ActionScript Addict DangerAhead's Avatar

syncro probs

I haven't had a damn bit of luck with Flash MX video keeping sync.

the only way I've been able to maintain audio sync with Flash MX video was to select 100% quality which turned my 6 Meg .AVI file into a 9 Meg FLASH file!

What the hell is going on in the Sorenson codec that makes the filesize bigger and loses sync????

If I wanted that, I'd have used Real Player.

I've invariably had to return to Flix with my tail between my legs to get the results I'm looking for. Until Macromedia ditches or fixes the Sorenson Codec, my humble opinion is Flix is the only tool worth investing in.

now stepping of of soapbox.

Hi Jonathan_B n DragonAhead,

If i am using Flash MX playing Viedo, Do i still need other player to view file, like .mov need QuickTime Player to play?

If let said i am using Flix, will it be smaller since oledi converted to swf file?

thanks
    takashi

Wildform Moderator
    Flash MX will convert your video files to SWFs. These will only require the Flash 6 player. Flash MX will also allow you to link to an .MOV file. If you do this, the end user will need the Flash player and the Quicktime player.
    Flix outputs MX video that requires only the Flash 6 player. Flix will allow you to create better looking video than Flash MX at smaller file sizes, with bitrate control, 2-pass vbr and better audio sync, among other things.
    jb

Thanks JB....