A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: damn video thingy

right, this is kinda like a lot of the posts up here, sorry.

I've got a large (225mb) MPEG file that a client wants including in a flash movie, i gather from the other posts that the best way to deal with it would be to cut it up into >25mb peices and insert them individualy, do you need to do anything else with the scripting? (i read something about LoadMovie but didn't fully understand, sorry)

the other thing is, does anybody know any good software to cut up Mpeg's? I've tried it in premiere 5 but can't get it to export a decent quality file. would i be better off using an avi?

many many thanks in advance to anybody who can help me out.

Wildform Moderator
    Hi.
    What you need to cut up is the SWF files that you output. So until you know the size of your MX video SWF, you won't know how many pieces you need.
    Flash will not load an mpeg. So you'll need to convert your mpeg's to SWF or FLV files. Then see how large they are.
    We recommend a maximum of 50 MB for web usage and 25 MB for CD usage - based on average user computer specs.
    jb

http://www.wildform.com/flix

An alternative is to play your large video in original quality with fast startup and low CPU/RAM consumtion using third party tools like LPFlashEx.

You may want to have a look at the following samples :
    http://www.lpflashex.com/dl/MovieSamplesV2.zip (161KB)

There are 5 samples in the file
    You can start test with publishing MovieMouseClick.fla or MMPMouseClick.fla to EXE which shown some more advanced functions. When looking at sources code,

you can start with the 2 simple one first.

ChooseMovie.fla show how to write code that support both media playing engin LPFlashEx provided and let user (or your action script code) to choose at run

time.

The two engin :
    Movie (using Window Media Player OCX) is well testing and used by our many customer. Some also send their production using LPFlashEx for Lab test in over 20

computers with different OS (95/98/Me/2K/XP) and different hardware and scored 100% pass without any error / warning. Media Player 6.4 + is needed to play

movie this way. You can use the OCX detection event to prompt user to install Media Player using your included installer or use LPFlashEx download action to

download installer from Microsoft. You can see this in MovieMouseClick.fla.

MMP is a newer engin which make direct call to system to let it play media with whatever codec it got so it dont depend on a specific program. For example,

if the user had any program that registered it codec to playback mpg file with system, MMP should be able to play it. It also support Audio CD playback and

we may act more support to it later such as sound recording.

If you need more info or have any questions. You are welcomed to visit our web site and email me.