dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: content management systems

Hybrid View

Big gulps huh?
    hello, thanks for taking some time to view my thread.... my inquiry is on the topic of content management systems and making my flash easier for my clients to update themselves.....Where my skills stand right now i have a very good knowledge of flash and animation with moderate actionscript knowledge, but nothing in the way of making flash easier for clients to manage...what i would like to know is where is a good place to start my education on the topic, any good books or sites.....thanks for the help

it sounds like what you're talking about isn't necessarily a content management system in the most common use of the terms.

Most CMS's are applications that help organize and publish huge volumes of regularly changing content (think newspaper sites, for one)....

what you might be looking for is more information regarding dynamic text fields in flash, which aren't the hardest thing, but you might have to work on your actionscript to get it to work to the needs of an administrative assistant updating a flash site.

are you sure flash is the best way to go for the client?

Big gulps huh?
    i am aware of dynamic text fields and have a good control over them, but i guess what i mean is that i want to take it to the next step... so im pretty sure a CMS or something along those lines is on the right track..... the two pages that come to my mind when thinking of examples are http://www.vulcan.com and http://www.westonfl.org. Im not trying to go out and recreate these sites or anything like that but my current employers (im an intern) would be much quicker to incorporate flash into their projects if i could demonstrate to them its flexibilty and ease of updating... now im not expecting to master any prgrams or languages in a week or anything but i know it will be good skills for me to have in the future, so any good starting points is what im looking for...thanks again

While this is an interesting topic, I would like to ask that it be kept in the context of discussing the business application of CMS systems, and not a how-to conversation.
    The best place for those discussions are in the Scripting & Backend forum, General Help forum, and Actionscript forum.

This will help us keep the focus of the individual forums, and also help others who may have the same questions to find their answers.

Thanks, and best wishes...
    -Jay

Big gulps huh?
    good call, perhaps a thread move or close is in order