dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Moving to where the work is?

Hi, I dont know if this is the right forum, but I need some
    feedback please.

I am a freelance web/multimedia developer located in Florida
    and considering moving to a bigger market.

I have narrowed my choices to Austin,Tx or Dallas,TX,or
    the VA/DC/MD area, or Atlanta,GA.

I would like some info on the quantity of work in the these
    cities and any other useful info about them.

I do not want to go to Cali or NY(cost of living). And these
    cities have relatively low costs, which is one of my deciding factors.

I am basically looking for a place that will grow will
    the internet/new media industry, and a better chance for present and future full-time employment and also plenty of freelance work on the side.

Thanks I would appreciate it.

Daniel

i know austin's been hit hard, i don't know anything about dallas, atlanta's market has taken a beating so you can get cheaper rent and ga. tech has a great masters program you could check out.

i live in dc and the work isn't plentiful, but the federal govt. employs a huge number of people, and there are also govt. contractors who always need multimedia work.

check out http://www.washingtonjobs.com if you're looking at coming up here.

i'm sure everyone here could help you a lot more if you told us more about your background, exp. etc...the market for dc developers with no college degree is rough because so many people who have degrees have been laid off from the no. virginia .coms, so the competition is intense...good luck...

Listed as one of the top-five fastest growing cities in America is Alpharetta, Georgia. This city is like a mini-Silicon Valley without the dot-bomb-residue. Some of the largest companies in America have their headquarters there. It's a wonderful place, and I nearly moved there a year ago for a job I thought I couldn't turn down. Turns out, I decided to stay in Michigan and continue to nurture my growing business.
    However Alpharetta, just north of Atlanta, is a virtual breeding ground for tech-types and is a beautiful city with homes between 100,000 and 5 million dollars. Surrounding it are some much more affordable cities, and many people commute into Alpharetta to work. The daytime and night-time populations of the city differ drastically because of this.

At any rate, if you are thinking Atlanta, I would aim a little further north at Alpharetta... you won't be disappointed.

Check out these jobs... you'll notice that McKesson HBOC (the company I almost moved for) is regularly hiring.

Best wishes on your plans...

-Jay

About VA/MD/DC -

It's a great place to live, if you live in the DC suburbs. However, it's been hit hard by the Worldcom layoffs as well as some other large companies that have downsized recently.

seems a bit of a shame just to move somewhere because you can get a good job there... what about factors like quality of life? your own personal development, etc?

just some thoughts?

- n.