dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: web interface site updating

Hi Boardroom,

What do you guys use for clients that want to easily update their text on their site automatically? I am thinking of doing this in an upcoming project. Do you just give them ftp access to the site and a text file to update, then load in the text to the flash movie? How about on non-flash things (html)? Is there such software (I would imagine it would be web-based-server-side stuff but better yet would be client-side) and if so what is it? Thanks.

VIP Member
    Theres one of two things you could do

- you could give them ftp access

or-

- you could setup a web page for them to edit the text file with using vbscript or anything else that will do the job.

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Originally posted by pheck
    Hi Boardroom,

What do you guys use for clients that want to easily update their text on their site automatically? I am thinking of doing this in an upcoming project. Do you just give them ftp access to the site and a text file to update, then load in the text to the flash movie? How about on non-flash things (html)? Is there such software (I would imagine it would be web-based-server-side stuff but better yet would be client-side) and if so what is it? Thanks.
    With certain txt file scrollers, I've had problems with the downloaded text content scrolling if there are multiple entries of textfields in a single txt file, so you'd need to (perhaps) test this with your own set up. If you're using MX, perhaps this wouldn't be a problem with the 'built-in' scrolling function, but again, I'd check it out carefully. You could leave them with quite a few individual txt files to update - perhaps more than they want to get involved with.

The Minister of No Crap

I have one client who actually did all his own webpages until he met me. He was still programming in HTML 2.0. I've built him a super-sexy site with CSS and very professional looking graphics. But he wants to be able to update the text.

His HTML editor from 1997 freaks out at the sign of style sheets. So I have a bunch of HTML 2.0 compliant webpages with nothing but text for him to edit using his ancient program and FTP. Then I include the HTML 2.0 pages in the pages I developed using php. It works out pretty well.

For other clients, I use a content management system. They can logon, add, edit, and delete pages as they wish through a web interface.

-scott
    http://www.scottmanning.com/

thanks guys. good info.

I'd say using a combination of a text file, php script and a web interface are the best methods