dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How to get freelance web work?

it always snows in Albany, but never in Austin :)
    This question is for Miles (aversion) or any other successful freelancers out there. I am a partner in a business some of you might know of called edevstudios. Currently we are going through a slow phase where there is little work and many personal bills...We get promises all the time of people and companies that want to work with us but murphy's law being my best friend and all, nothing really seems to pan out...I'm getting really frustrates because I put so much time and money into this and I will not see it fail...but in the meantime I need money...I have car insurance, rent, girlfriend, food, hookers, and beer to buy...well really everything but the beer, I mean hookers.
    Honestly though, I have signed up for a few online freelance services and have applied to many projects listed in them...but I can't seem to get a bite. I need to know what I'm doing wrong...I'm not really a salesperson by nature but I'm bright and well articulated. Now I know many of you are very successful doing just freelance, and some use it just to supplement their primary occupations...I really need a little kind advice here from you guys...it will all be very appreciated, as I'm a little distraught and overwhelmed ..help a fellow flasher out guys...like the kid said, "pay it forward"...ok enough drama..any help would be great. I'll be monitoring this post to answer any questions you might want to ask me about the nature of my freelance attempts if it helps to narrow in on my erroneous methods.

Thanks,
    Chris
    http://www.edevstudios.com

moving to boardroom........

Ryan Kallok: Kallok Studios kallok's Avatar
    Sure, anyone can make promises about something, but whats important is can they pull it off? Truthfully, most of the places for freelancers to find jobs really are not even worth the effort.coroflot, guru, and all the others... most people who win bid a price thats so low, it's not worth it. How do I get jobs? I look around. I see a company that needs a new site, I send them my resume cd, why I would do a good job, etc. I am very suprized that you can not find work, especially with a nice site like the one you have... heck I am doing freelance mostly and right now I got a ton of work... Designing a local business web site, 2 flash ads for a Long Distance related company, working in a new group and were planning our 1st site, etc. Then again, I am only 17, and I rather web design and do things like that rather than working at Mc Donnalds or somewhere,and even make more doing what I do now.

it always snows in Albany, but never in Austin :)
    I'm playing around with calling people...hopefully I'll get something right..

Chris
    http://www.edevstudios.com

Have you advertised? Create some flyers/postcards, you can obviously do the design yourself so the only cost would be print. Pick a commercial area and get posting.

I have been involved in this kind of thing for other services other than web design and it has generated business. I plan to do this shortly for myself

Chris,

We are having similar struggles. The question I've been trying to answer is this:

If a company (one that fits the profile of my "target" client) needs a website, how would they most likely find a web designer?

Some possible answers:

1. Looked in Yellow pages.
    2. Searched on the Internet.
    3. Received a direct mail piece.
    4. A web design company happened to contact them at the right time.
    5. Asked a business associate for someone he can recommend.

Taking a stab at #4, we made several hundred calls to local businesses, only to book 2 appointments. Both companies could only afford a low-end template site for $500. (Needless to say, we are currently re-evaluating this strategy!)

Since then, most of what I've been hearing from other web designers is that "word of mouth" is their primary source of business. I used to think that this meant telling everyone you know about what you do, then waiting around for some work to roll in.

I'm starting to realize that you can actively generate "word of mouth" referrals by joining such networking organizations such BNI http://www.bni.com/ or your local Chamber of Commerce. I'm told that these are long-term goals, generally taking 3-6 months before you establish some trust with the fellow members.

We are just embarking on this path, so I can't yet say how well it's working. If I can find the top 2 items from the list, then I think I'll have hit on a successful marketing plan!

johntabita - your on the right track...and your timeline for results 2-4 months is right on.

================================================

OK, I am going to hook everyone that reads this up! We have tried every different strategy that every different book, person, site, etc says to do to generate leads and close projects.

1. Join every Chamber of Commerce in your area and attend every networking event they offer. That is only 1a. 1b. TALK TO PEOPLE AT THE EVENT. You would be surprised how many people just sit there and say nothing to promote themselves. 1a. is useless without 1b.

2. Do what you do best and hire out the rest. If your a good designer/developer and you stink at 1., get someone that is good at 1. You don't have to make them a full partner. Offer them a piece of the pie for generated work. Example: 20% Commission. $7,000 website they make $1400. Get a few of these people. THEY ARE OUT THERE...trust me.

3. Cold Calling is OUT. Blind calling thru the yellow pages is the quickest way to lose a sales person and waste time. Research who the decision makers are FIRST!

4. NETWORK, NETWORK, and the NETWORK somemore. Make it a goal to meet and hand 10 people a business card per day. Let them know what you do. These people know people. They will pass you leads. We see it daily. Our Business Developers don't cold call. They have met so many people that their contacts pass them leads...several a week.

5. Partner up with similar businesses. If your a graphic artist, partner up with a database guy. This is basically the same thing as 4. but in a different light.

Good Luck.