dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Button with popup browser w/o toolbar

FK's Woman Chess Grand Master Seldudet's Avatar

How do i add a lil button in flash, so that when its clicked a new browser pops up without toolbar, scroller, resizer etc.Using the GetURL way the browser has all its features, how can i get rid of 'em and make just a lil window pop up with page inside, from flash. I also want to be able to re-size window permanently. Has to be normal browser window though so i can stick html page inside.

Hey, Seldudet.

In order to do this, you'll need to use some javascript. Write the javascript in the code for the page that holds the Flash movie, and then use getURL to call the function.

This is off the top of my head and probably not correct, so don't just cut in paste it. This is just an example of the technique.
    Code:
    //javascript code
    function open_win(url){
    window.new(url, "window", resize);
    // not sure what you meant by "resize window permenantly", but this will allow the visitor to resize the window
    }

//in the button code
    on (release){
    getURL("javascript: open_win(http://www.flashkit.com)")
    }
    Again, my javascript is sub-par and I haven't used this technique for several months now, so I might be getting the syntax wrong, but that's the basic idea. Anyone who knows the exact code is welcome to correct me.

hth
    japangreg
    [Edited by japangreg on 08-06-2002 at 04:06 PM]

FK's Woman Chess Grand Master Seldudet's Avatar
    Thank u v much....but then do i have to do onLoad='open_win' in the <body> tag? and wouldn't this open up a new window from the browser launched from button, or does it alter the browser launched?
    Oh and by resizing i meant say like if i wanted the window to be like 150 px by 150 px or something like that.
    Anyway thanks again, i'll look into a javascript way, although anymore help would be very much appreciated

Hey, Seldudet.

You would place that code in <script> tags in the <head> section of the page. And you can set the dimensions exactly like so:

[code]
    function open_win(url){
    window.new(url, 'window','height=150,width=150');
    }

hth
    japangreg

This is always a good source. You just fill in the details and it generates the code for your flash button. No need for anything in the HTML file.

http://www.flash-db.com/PopUp/

Hope this points you in the right direction.
    Eric