dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: So ya know how to do this ah?

how is this ad made?...what settings in flash do I need to make and what script does this on top of an html page? DHTML?

http://www.macromedia.com/resources/...ilerNosnd.html

How do you do this? I want to make an ad just like that cingular ad.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Developer
    i havn't tried it but it dosn't look too complicated < div id="Layer1" style="position:absolute; width:400px; height:200px; z-index:1">

<!-- Content Goes Here -->
    </div>
    [Edited by gSOLO_01 on 08-06-2002 at 01:24 PM]

Well that PARTICULAR example doesn't seem to have a real HTML page at all. There's a bit of pixel jumping when the cingular man is swinging around, and if you look at the page source, there's nothing there for the actual page content.

So in this page's case, it appears to just be an image on the bottom layer of the Flash movie.

But the code above does work. However, it will only work on Internet Explorer.
    [Edited by rdoyle720 on 08-06-2002 at 02:04 PM]

I agree

I agree, it looks like they've taken a screen shot of the underlying page and used it as the background for their Flash Movie. No super trick there.

So...since this little trick will only work on IE, I'm trying to do a detect script that will only put the Flash movie on the page if the user is using IE. But, I'm having problems.

I'm using the code automatically generated by Flash when I publish as "transparent windowless" and the code listed above to make it appear above the html.

And my browser detection script is very simple:

&ltSCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"&gt
    if (navigator.appName=="Microsoft Internet Explorer"){
    document.write('code pasted here')
    }
    &lt/SCRIPT&gt

It seems to get screwed up by the OBJECT parts of the code, which I of course need to achieve the transparent effect. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

that is not DHTML, just Flash.

tutash

I don't think that this is a transparent windowless Flash movie animating over an HTML page, as I said in an earlier post. I may be wrong but, it appears to me that the Cingular advert that was used as an example was merely a Flash movie with the image of a HTML webpage as the movie's background.

I've posted an example of what such a thing would look like flying over your post further above. check it out at:

http://www.innov8tor.net/rdoyle720

Jesseb
    jesseb@inorbit.com

If you notice, I was the first one to say that this example did not use DHTML or an actual webpage below the ad. That's not what I'm asking.

If you use g_SOLO's above code, and publish your movie as transparent, you can place a swf on top of a HTML page. But since that only works in IE for PC, I'm trying to use some JavaScript to only place the swf if the user is on IE for PC. Unfortunately my detection code doesn't want to work with the code to place the .swf. That's what I'm asking about.

So no, what you posted is not what I'm looking for.

OK guys.,....here we go..

We all know that the example that I submitted was just a flash movie....but we all know that MAXIM Magazine's .com IS NOT FLASH right?...So this has to be a flash movie on top of an HTML page...that's why I'm thinking that it is DHTML layered on top with a close command (close.window) when the cingular "Close" button is clicked. That's how I need mine to work. I need to be able to make a flash anim on top of an html page that does exactly what that cingular ad did, as well as make it disappear when the close button (on the flash movie) is clicked..or disappear after about 8 sec.

are we not on the same page now?

I've still had no luck...any of you?

I don't think you need ANY DHTML to get this working. The code above + publishing as transparent windowless should get you started. The close button is very likely telling the Flash to go to a blank frame, as right-clicking on the transparent areas of the Flash movie does not seem to bring up the usual Flash menu.

OK....I just got on the same page with the rest of you. Thanks for the clarification Joey. I'm very interested to see if, within this thread, we can determine how it was done because I'd also love to be able to be able to recreate this effect.

When I get a chance I'll try out g_SOLO's code to see if I can't come up with something.

Jesseb
    jesseb@inorbit.com

http://www.richarddoyle.net/ad.shtml

VERY rough, but works. And even detects for IE on the PC.

The only problem I can see with what I have is that you can't select the text. Even if you unload the movie or go to a blank frame. This is a small drawback though, as most people won't need to select your text for anything.