A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Wormhole tunnel effect?

Fellow forum members,

My website intro currently contains a wormhole tunnel effect that I created using Illusion and After Effects. I imported the footage as 160 sequenced JPEGS and the problem with this approach is that it takes a long time to download and once downloaded it requires the user have a powerful processer to view the wormhole footage smoothly.

Anyways, as a workaround to this problem I have come up with the idea of using actionscript to create a wormhole effect. I got this idea after viewing this site:

http://www.geocities.com/thejavaplan...l/tunnel2.html

This effect utilizes a single textured JPEG combined with javascript to create what I think is a cool looking wormhole tunnel effect. My objective now is to create the same effect not using javascript but instead actionscript. This way I will eliminate long download times.

My actionscript skills are very basic. Nevertheless, I'm wondering if such an effect can be created using actionscript? If the answer is yes, how difficult will the code be? Can any kind actionscript guru out there help me out by posting some example actionscript code that can create this wormhole tunnel effect? Thanks in advance, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Binar

half as fun, double the price senocular's Avatar
    its not javaSCRIPT, its JAVA, which is completely different. Its more like c/c++ and gives much more flexibility and speed compared to Flash. The effect itself renders a 3D distortion which really isnt feasible in Flash.

You can however fake these kinds of effects and make something thats similar using actionscript. Something like this can be easily done by making a circle and attaching it to the screen at a small scale the continuously scaling it outward towards the screen to give the zooming effect.

Senocular,

Thanks for your response. I am going to have to read up on java and javascript because I thought they were one in the same.

As for your idea of creating this effect by using actionscript combined with a circle continuously getting scaled, I'm wondering if it would be too much trouble if you can post an example of the actionscript you think will be needed to create this effect. I'm trying to create this effect just utilizing tweening and no actionscript. The results I'm getting are not that great. If you can elaborate more on the actionscript I would be very grateful.

Cheers,

Binar

Thank You Very Much

Senocular,

Thanks a million for sharing your FLA file. You are without a doubt an actionscript programming heavyweight to come up with such an ingenious piece of code in such a short time. Thanks also for taking the time to include comments together with your code, because without it your code would fly over my head. It's an incredible piece of code, and I'm amazed with your talent. Thanks again.

Cheers,
    Binar

half as fun, double the price senocular's Avatar
    quite welcome
    glad you were able to understand it (or at least I assume you do ;)

Sweet one Sen! I like the color Object loop, tight code. I'll learn alot from that one.

hiiiiiiii

please i like this effect of wormhole and i want to create my wormhole but i not know the step for create this magic effect

please send my your .fla and .swf link please i need to created,it's amazin i like it, thank you first.

in fact you have a tutorial for a begining as me ?

thank you very much

Hi,

is it possible to get hold of the above FLA ? The links seems broken.

Thanks