A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: When the trial expires?

Thumbs up

So what happens when the trial expires?
    Does it allow you to reinstall, or is it that nazi Swish-like protection that won't allow you to reinstall?

How much does a key cost and why can you add so many keys?
    My feeling is that it is like cold fusion, where you need one key per deployment.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Danny Gomez Creations ® cosmiceye's Avatar
    under a palmtree in Jamaica waiting for psytopia 2005 to begin
    about the price...4500 dollars for pro edition (500 users max, 10 Mbps) and 500 dollars for personal edition ( 10 users max 1 Mbps).
    U should be able to reinstall after formatting your server (blah! :-P). By the way, have you found where to insert a key, let me know where.

Holy God, pro is expensive. I saw 4500 somewhere else but I thought it was a typo.

Anyway, the server administrator has a license tab. Then you just enter in keys.

psx = new Moderator();
    Cosmic -
    Go to the server administrator page - Should be under your start menu.

Then go to the licenses tab and add your license.

FYI Cosmic - I think we both installed the trial on the same day. I also installed the pc version of the flash mx trial at the same time. My flash mx is expiring in 4 days from today (8/12). Time to get a dev. license!

psx

psychlonex,

when you say "dev. license" do you mean professional or personal edition? Or is there a Developers edition?

If there is a dev edition, how much is that puppy?

psx = new Moderator();
    Hey-
    It's the personal edition Cosmic mentioned above. $500 for 10 users.

psx

Thanks!

In order to understand this license issue let me ask about a particular scenerio.

Say I have 5 clients that each want a communication app for their intranet. Do I need to purchase 5 licenses?

If that is the case, doesn't flashcom seem a little overpriced for intranet use? Of course, not if your building an intranet app for IBM, but most my clients won't have 100's of users connecting at once. Nor will they pay almost 5 grand + development$$ + installing flashcom server on their machines.

Not trying to complain, I 'm just concerned that flashcom apps won't sell in the mainstream, especially if NetMeeting is free.

What do you(anyone) think?

psx = new Moderator();
    As far as I know, it's just like any other license in that if you are selling it to a client, each client needs a unique one.

If they have fewer than 10 employees, or at least won't be connecting more than 10 people, you should be able to get away with the $500 version. I haven't read all the fine print though - so this may not legally be an option. You'd have to check with Macromedia on that.

I agree with your concerns - netMeeting is free, but it's also windows only(ok, so I'm the only one who cares about that!), and limited to doing what it does. I see the real power behind flashcom being that you can make it do dang near whatever you can come up with, in addition to what the components allow.

How much could you charge for development-time to reskin the conference components? Not much. Meaning you'd basically be reselling the server. Once your clients caught on as to how easy it was to create a video conference room, they may just buy flash themselves and have the secretary do it.

My point is, selling/creating video conference setups is a very easy thing to do..but the real money will be in custom built communications solutions that do alot more than video conf. In order to compete with something that is free(and justify the cost), you have to be able to provide alot more than the free thing. Flash com allows you to do that. Still alot of work but work is what we get paid to do.

Psx