A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Video in projector

Angry

I want to put some video clips into a projector file that I will make a cd-rom. In the swf, I want to include 10 :30 second video clips. I would prefer to have good quality on the movies since file size isn't an issue (or is it?) on a cd.

I'm very experienced in flash, but have never done anything with movies in a .swf.

I tried to embed a quicktime movie into a swf last night and the audio finished befpre the video. I suppose it had something to do with the frame rate. Should I convert the frame rate to 30fps?

And what would be the best way to show the clips when a user clicks on the button that launches it? Should I embed the video, loadMovie, etc.?

I read what they have posted at Macromedia.com, but it doesn't mention anything about adding video into a projector file. If someone has a slow processor, would they trouble seeing the audio and video at different rates?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Wildform Moderator
    Hi.
    Yes, you can use Flash video for your CD projectors, but there are a couple of things to keep in mind.
    Because of the way Flash works, when you have a SWF on CD, the Flash player loads the entire file into memory before it starts to play. So, depending on your computer's speed, ram, CD player speed, etc. your performance may vary. Consequently, we suggest not creating files larger than 25MB for use on a CD Rom. You can get around this limit by chaining your video swf's and loading them sequentially. Our software, Flix Pro, can do this for you automatically.
    Also, if you're going to make Mac projectors, you need to allocate enough RAM to your projector. When preparing a CD-ROM, the projector file needs to be allocated it's own size plus the biggest Flix file plus a couple of extra MB to be on the safe side. When the HFS volume is burnt onto CD it will inherit the memory settings you've specified.
    As for your audio sync issues, if you are going to use Flash MX to create the video, you should probably make sure that your flash video framerate is the same as your source video framerate. Also use less than 100% quality.
    jb
    http://www.wildform.com/flix

For larger media files, you will find that using LPFlashEx to load and control the originaly media file directly in flash will have better result then importing them.

You may want to have a look at the following samples :
    http://www.lpflashex.com/dl/MovieSamplesV2.zip (161KB)

There are 5 samples in the file
    You can start test with publishing MovieMouseClick.fla or MMPMouseClick.fla to EXE which shown some more advanced functions. When looking at sources code, you can start with the 2 simple one first.

ChooseMovie.fla show how to write code that support both media playing engin LPFlashEx provided and let user (or your action script code) to choose at run time.

The two engin :
    Movie (using Window Media Player OCX) is well testing and used by our many customer. Some also send their production using LPFlashEx for Lab test in over 20 computers with different OS (95/98/Me/2K/XP) and different hardware and scored 100% pass without any error / warning. Media Player 6.4 + is needed to play movie this way. You can use the OCX detection event to prompt user to install Media Player using your included installer or use LPFlashEx download action to download installer from Microsoft. You can see this in MovieMouseClick.fla.

MMP is a newer engin which make direct call to system to let it play media with whatever codec it got so it dont depend on a specific program. For example, if the user had any program that registered it codec to playback mpg file with system, MMP should be able to play it. It also support Audio CD playback and we may act more support to it later such as sound recording.

If you need more info or have any questions. You are welcomed to visit our web site and email me.