dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: video for CD ROM

hi,

We are putting together a presentation for soem clients to show them a project we hope they will be interested in purchasing. With Flash MX we have embedded video in a lot of different ways, but we have never come accross the problem we are having right now...

When we embed some video clips into the Flash and export to exe (we're making a CD ROM for them) everything runs fine on ALMOST all computers, BUT we can't it to run on some computers. Everything runs fine, but its like the video just isn't there on some systems. We have no idea what to do and have been working on it for two days now.

We are using SWF Studio to export to exe, which has always worked really well. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Phill Justice

I am new to MX, but I have done a few CD-roms with video. My understanding is MX uses Sonhiemersomething Codec (compression/decompression). Codecs work with some systems and not others. In our testing we found that some users simply needed to update thier video codec and placed this info in the readme file in the CD and added a few popular upgrades on the CD, (saving them the hassle of downloading it.)

That is my guess. We pretty much tell our clients in advance and throughout the project that we are shooting for the majority of systems, not the exceptional slacker who spends more on soda pop a month then on a new computer.
    (There is just no excuse unless you are talking third world economies.)

Roto

Originally posted by Roto Chicken
    I am new to MX, but I have done a few CD-roms with video. My understanding is MX uses Sonhiemersomething Codec (compression/decompression). Codecs work with some systems and not others. In our testing we found that some users simply needed to update thier video codec and placed this info in the readme file in the CD and added a few popular upgrades on the CD, (saving them the hassle of downloading it.)

That is my guess. We pretty much tell our clients in advance and throughout the project that we are shooting for the majority of systems, not the exceptional slacker who spends more on soda pop a month then on a new computer.
    (There is just no excuse unless you are talking third world economies.)

Roto
    Thanks Roto Chicken,

Some time around two a.m. we had the same idea, but then the question is "What codecs should we include and where can we get simple set up files?" We are leaning toward using AVI format, because most of the video is exported from 3DS Max 4, and it provides the quality we need. Actually this CD ROM is for a company in Mexico, but all their clients tend to be somewhat "high end", as it is a housing development with a PGA quality, Jack Niklaus designed 27 hole golf course.

Anyway, if you can suggest any codec, it would be great. Thanks a lot.

Phill Justice

Wildform Moderator
    Hi.
    If you are using the MX video and you are putting it into a projector, there are no additional codecs needed.
    If the files are not playing properly on some users computers, there is some other problem going on.
    Which computers is it not working on? What do you mean the video doesn't show up? Is this a windows or mac or both problem?
    MX video works great with CDs. Many of our customers are using our Flix encoder for just that purpose. However, when creating Flash video for CD, there are a few issues to keep in mind.
    Because of the way Flash works, when you have a SWF on CD, the Flash player loads the entire file into memory before it starts to play. So, depending on your computer's speed, ram, CD player speed, etc. your performance may vary. Consequently, we suggest not creating files larger than 25MB for use on a CD Rom. You can get around this limit by chaining your video swf's and loading them sequentially. Our software, Flix Pro, can do this for you automatically.
    Also, if you're going to make Mac projectors, you need to allocate enough RAM to your projector. When preparing a CD-ROM, the projector file needs to be allocated it's own size plus the biggest Flix file plus a couple of extra MB to be on the safe side. When the HFS volume is burnt onto CD it will inherit the memory settings you've specified.
    Let me know the answers to the questions I asked above and I will try to help you troubleshoot the problem.
    jb
    http://www.wildform.com/flix

hi jb,

We have been given somewhat of a challenge by our client. They gave us a Pentium 200 laptop and want to see their presentation working on it. Everything is choppy. We have tried all sorts of things and when we reach a point in our presentation that should include video, there is simply nothing there, like the instance has been deleted altogether.

When we run the file as an SWF, everything works fine, even the video. We will be exporting the presentation to exe and that's where we are having a problem. We downloaded the demo version of Flix Lite, but when we try to export to the FLA we just get a bunch of empty keyframes. Your software does a great job of exporting though, we just can't get it to cooperate with our FLA files. Will Flix make it so our videos only get loaded when called? We're not exactly sure how it works...

Thanks,

Phill Justice

Wildform Moderator
    Which version of Flash are you using? What are you using to make the projector files?
    Flix does not export FLA, it exports FLV. Is that what you're talking about?
    If the video plays locally and then not in the projector on the old, slow computer there are two possibilities: 1. is that you are not exporting an MX projector, but you are using MX video - which then won't show up. 2. the video is too large to be played on the old laptop - either because the laptop is taking forever to load the video or the laptop simply doesn't have enough ram to play it. How large is the video file?
    You can also try contacting me directly: jb@wildform.com.
    jb