A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Mac portfolio site check with PC issues!!

Hello fellow Flashkitters,

I have created a flash based personal portfolio site,
    (mp.dngsolutions) that needs some feedback. I've been staring at it for way too long!

Also, on my web production page, I have popup windows that have swf files in them that will not fit properly in the new open window on a PC. Any help or hints here would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! This problem has given me many gray hairs over the last few weeks.

I am developing on a Mac G3, system 8.6, Flash 5, latest versions of Netscape and Internet Explorer.
    My testing machine is a Pentium 3, Windows XP,latest versions of Netscape and Internet Explorer.

Thanks,

mpars

OOPS! you need a complete address!!

I guess a complete URL would help you guys find my site!!!

mp.dngsolutions.net

FK's Freelance Artist
    first off... most people won't copy and paste your address.

you need to use "vB code"... don't know what that is? scroll down.

I am puting the link up for you...

http://mp.dngsolutions.net/

FK's Freelance Artist
    Site looks great... I see the problem with the pop-up windows... looking into it to see if I can help fix it.

Apparently this thread got moved somwhere? WTF.. anyways.. here it is now...

Wow man.. awsome interface..

Biggest Problem: LOAD TIME I was on DSL and I got impacient... 1mb load time for anything is unacceptable. Make the individual images have preloaders... and somewhere, something is taking up major space. Perhaps your importated images are huge? scale them down BEFORE going into flash.. .should help.

I'd like ot see it a bit bigger. I have 800x600 and it's pretty small at that size.. Or have options for screen resolution.

Yeah.. I'm on a pc now, popups aren't the right size. Too short (horizontally) it looks like.

Also, links to your web pages would be nice rather than just seeing an image of the site.

On a sidenote.. that's some awsome work man... wow. I especially like the print stuff.

Angry

Thats way cool. The preloader my favorite. Very Nice. I like everything except the green color on your buttons.

Please Review My Site

Thanks for the info. and critique!

Thanks for the feedback guys!

JuggoPop:
    No, I haven't even heard of a vB code, yet. I do see the link at the bottom of the page though. Thanks also for putting my link up!

I am Brak:
    Yeah, I know it's a huge site. The images are as optimized as I can possibly make them (ImageReady). Flash just doesn't deal too well with bitmapped images. That's the main reason the site is so small, an attempt to decrease load time. On my 56k line it takes abot 4.5 minutes and when I have friends test it on a DSL they tell me it takes less than a minute. Still too long?
    I am also still trying to figure out multiple pre-loaders.
    What do you think about kicking out of Flash into an HTML page for individual images?

Hollywood:
    I appreciate the positive feedback. And, yes, I've heard about the lime green rollovers from a few people!
    I'll take a look at your site now...

If people aren't loading a movie or a game... I try to keep my preloaders to 30sec or so... It may have been under a minute - I didn't keep track. I just know it was long...

Are you SURE that's as optimized as they get? There didn't seem to be THAT many images that would equal up to 1meg.... I'd get a size report and see what's taking up so much room... something definately is.

Keep it up

Yea, the site takes way to much space for what it is... try cutting each section off with an preloader, so it doesnt loads it all in one time

Thanks for all of your replies Guys!

I Am Brak:
    Thanks for forcing me to learn where the "generate size report" is at! I definitely have size issues. I am figuring out how to read the report now...

I_am_Tarzan:
    Yes! That's exactly what I want to do. Load each section individually. What is that called though? I've only seen tutorials on one overall preloader. Multiple preloaders?
    preloading sections? Would I break each of my current scenes into an individual swf file. When you say "section", do you mean each scene that I have now would be it's own swf file embedded in it's own html page?

mpars