A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dummy Sites Pro/Cons

VIP Member
    whats the url??

I have a website for myself that includes a portfolio of websites I have finished. On that site I have a "News" section where I post sites in the works as "demos".

_
    thats a good idea

_
    hmm i get emails that people have responded to this thread,, i come and see ntohing

dummies are a great way to kickstart your career, get that job you've wanted for awhile, or just add to your portoflio. I've only made one "dummy" site, which was actually a school project for my first flash class. It was for a local furniture store. I was going to approach them with a bid for a redesign, but never made it. The "dummy" site is still on my portfolio, so if you wanna check it out go to http://www.rjhurry.com and look under the section titled "develop" there's an intro and a main site....which are two different items on my site. Anyways, looking back at that site now, I cringe! It's horrible! But my first attempt at Flash, so all in all I guess not that bad.

Since graduating, I do not have the time to make any more dummy sites and focus more on the current sites I've landed since last March (when I graduated). Due to my lack of time, my portfolio doesn't include my newest work, but will sooner or later. lol.

I would suggest, making dummy sites for well known athletes or music artists. This way, you go as far as you'd like with the site without any legal worries, maybe even pay for some cheap hosting, take your dummy site live and just call it an "unoffical" fan site. I've seen plenty of them before. Who knows, maybe you'll even make a better site than what the "artist" already has, and land a deal. But don't hold your breathe, as getting your work that well recognized would be a bit harder than the actual production of the site.

HEY MIKE... YOU WANNA BATTLE? Bring your skillz over to the Battle Forum at were-here.com .... we'd love to have ya!

Later.

morosa
    http://www.rjhurry.com

_
    ok i joined were-here

i put up a post, "anything goes"

VIP Member
    Does any body know how whoswe.com dos them cool 3d effects do they use swift 3d or something.
    Im not very experienced in 3d.

_
    3d max or maya (i think)

they probley also used illustarator
    and of course, photoshop

VIP Member
    Can you give me the url im really despirate for a program like this. I mean I make 3d images with a program called errrr! well can't remember but Ive never been able to make 3d movies that good a quality.

_
    3d max.. cost's around 2000$ dollars (i think) and maya is around there 2.

i would recomend swift 3d, ultrashock.com's intro was done with it, and you can create some nice looking stuff.. vector

but if you have the money, 3d max is sopposed to be the easiest to learn..

search on google for 3d max and maya's site, im not sure of what they are

thanx

mike,

cya over at were-here! I think occassionally FlashKit and Were-Here have Battle Comps! But not positive.

late.

ryan

WHen I first saw the 2a site about a year ago I was blown off my chair! Now I look at it and it is a little dull.

Any updates on a new version of 2a?

Dummy Sites

The sites you've designed are amazing. I've not had the advantage of catching up in computer design by going to school ... I've just being doing trial-by-fire while trying to make a living at it. Some months are brutal. The talent I see on the sites you guys have is absolutely beyond belief, and the creativity you show (even with rjhurry's old furniture demo - which is still very good) is fantastic.
    Part of thinking outside the box includes stepping back and looking at your designs from stricly an end-user standpoint. We all are designers, and know what goes into the development of a really good Flash movie tends to skew our perception of the overall result. The fact of the matter is, most people would be awestruck - even I'm awestruck.
    I still sometimes long for the days when graphics weren't a part of the picture - like when during the mid '80's I was programming mainframes using COBOL and Fortran (eek -- am I that old now?)
    But ... and here's the flip-side ... striving to improve on the work, no matter how good it is, is what's making what I've seen here as good as it is.
    I'm jealous - I wish I could afford the time to go to school to catch up on all of this ... for now ... I get to use that marketing charm and telephone voice to get clients. It's hard work.
    As for the original subject on all of this ... check out some of these cheesy links which have impressed people ... the voice-overs are what get them ... and the time it takes to produce these elements is only about 2-3 hours ... including mixing the audio into the track. Timing is difficult, but you can impress even with a short, cheap demo. I just landed an $8,000 account today with it! And I'm not nearly as good as some of you are at these designs.
    http://www.rodanmedia.net/amil
    http://www.rodanmedia.net/biscayne (this guy's current site really sucks, so this is a major step up, even if the background color and rollover button are crap.)
    http://www.rodanmedia.net/dructor
    All of these are quickie demos for people to look at and go ... "Oh, I can have that on my site?" The fact so many are so clueless tends to be lost when looking at what most of our associates know. Just throw a 5-hour production at them and charge about $300 bucks ... do that about four or five times a week, and you'll be living quite comfortably very soon ... trust me.
    Dan

VIP Member
    hey rodan media guy/gal how did you get the voices for your site. Which program did you use. Or did you just get someone to speakinto a mic. Ive been trying to do something like that ut I just don't get the right ffect. It probably just my voice its too croaky.

Dummy sites

I'm a dude (part time dudette when I need that kind of voice - arg!) ... All the voices are me, utilizing the Cool Edit 2000 program ... if I remember correctly, it's about 65-70 bucks and you can order it online from http://www.syntrillium.com. They've got some great plug-ins, including downloadable Direct X effects, and ... here's the "real" bonus ... It has a Real Media encoder so you can export audio in .rm format and then write your .ram codes in a separate meta file.
    Pretty cool, huh?

Re: Dummy Sites

Originally posted by rodanmedia
    The sites you've designed are amazing. I've not had the advantage of catching up in computer design by going to school ... I've just being doing trial-by-fire while trying to make a living at it. Some months are brutal. The talent I see on the sites you guys have is absolutely beyond belief, and the creativity you show (even with rjhurry's old furniture demo - which is still very good) is fantastic...
    Rodanmedia... if you ever find yourself too busy bringing in the big clients and are left with no time to do the work, contact me. I would rather do the work, then hunt for it.

Jeff@shiftback.com

VIP Member
    can we keep to the subject here.

VIP Member
    I suppose 3D Impresses. Has anyone seen any good 3d sites.
    Ive seen one with a pretty cool intro. And it sure impressed me.

rodan.

thanks for the words friend. For someone who's been self taught you have some really great work. Hell, even compared to alot of the peeps I graduated with. Alot of them had no sense of design; contrast, repetition, alignment, proximity, typography, etc, etc. And they all spent a minimum of two years trying to learn this stuff. I think good design, for some people, has to be natural. I mean, I can remember way back, when I was a youngster (like 8), I would pick apart menus, billboards, signs, anything that didn't look uniform and rearrange it in my mind, making a visual of the way it should look! Anyways, Your on the right track, keep up the good work.

later.

ryan