A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Another Flash Clock

Wink

I know this isn't technically a "site" and I know that there are about a billion (and one) flash clocks out there, but I just wanted to share mine.

My Flash Clock

The idea was to create something fun, useful, and different that could potentially be used as a screensaver. Everything, except the year and month "clock", move real-time, though the further away from seconds that a time movement is, the less movement there is (obviously). Even the background changes color based on time of year, though you'll have to stare at your computer for quite a while to notice the change.

Anyhow, check it out and see if you can figure out how to tell time with it.

very nice, and yeah I like the layout, is it based on an old clock design or did you come up with it?

my only crit would be that the 'clocks' themselves are a little dim on my screen (lcd), the hands are very clear but maybe you could bring up the edges of the clock faces themselves?

nice work.

It's an original design, unless I've got something stored in my subconscious that I don't know about (which is entirely possible!)

As far as the dim "clocks", they're actually that way on purpose. I remember when I was little and I had a Goofy watch where the hands moved counter-clockwise. Anyhow, it took a little while to get used to it, but after a while I could just look at the hands and tell time without having to look at the numbers (and started having more difficulty telling time with "normal" clocks). Anyhow, this is sort of forcefully doing the same thing. The idea is to be able to tell all time by just looking at the position of the linked lines, so the lines are the most important part (the darkest and easiest to see) while the clock faces are just secondary. Kind of a "Cliff's Notes" for the beginner.

Also forgot to add in the first post that the entire clock scales so that it fills as much of a defined space as possible. So, for instance, on New Year's day, all the clocks are going to be smaller than what they are now to accomodate the layout of the lines and clock faces.

i dont know why but i dont get it at all

I like it, pretty well euh, ancient and futuristic , i think it's verry original

Great JOB! its one of a kind.

Nice Idea...
    but I must be viewing it at a time/date/month where all the hands are clashing ( overlaying each other ) and that can be confusing as to which hand is what/where
    I'll have to go back, also the clocks were low enough on the screen and without scrolls I couldn't see the chopped off part ( 800*600 )

Script must be tough (?)

<>R<>

the more I looked at it the more intensely complex I see it really is....the overlays and line ups and sizes all have to be just so in order to have that merge to them.....kind of an ordered chaos thing, @certain points -can't distinguish and then ,...there is movement and things are clearer.......how much caffeine did it take (?)

This is the clock with the Stuff.....

±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±± ±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±

Butt......my view is chopped off @ the bottom of page and you have room to scoche' it up some (?) or kill the "noResize" deal

<>R<>

That's really cool... I dunno.. it's just cool

JAyzEE
    Good Work.

relandr, I'm going to make some modifications and upload a version that should be better for you to see. At least I hope. I think some of the scripting within the movie, in preparing for making it a screensaver, are causing minor problems.

As far as the scripting, it's really not TOO bad. Using a lot of homemade functions for the time stuff (to give me the info in the format I needed from the Flash time functions) made things a lot easier than it could have been.

I'm glad you stuck around to see the stuff move though. It's pretty funny when you see 2 or 3 lines overlapping each other and you look at the whole thing and think, "Huh?" and then a couple of minutes later it all reveals itself. It's all about patience.

Lastly, everything at Kafenatid takes a minimum of 1000 milligrams of caffeine... and that's just to get started!

Ok, I put up 2 versions of the clock now for different resolutions. Those of you with an 800 x 600 resolution (relandr) will now be able to see the entire clock and those of you with a 1024 x 768, or higher, resolution will be able to get a closer view of the clock.

Enjoy!

beautiful

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......
    when's the screen saver coming out and don't forget MAC

<>R<>

Probably another week or 2 for the screensaver, depending on how development of the piece goes. I still have a few ideas I'm tossing around for how I want to develop it, so we'll see...