dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Project request: help wanted

EM411.COM - Electronic Music 411, home to 6,500 electronic musicians and thousands of monthly visitors is looking create a personalized chat environment, similar to *****.

This would be one room, for our members to come in and talk to each other. We've tried irc-based java chats but they're too boring looking and troubling to get hooked up with a proper irc server.

Can discuss payment and / or trade for php/mysql coding (see em411.com for example, site was built entirely from scratch, 100% dynamic / db generated) and / or advertising to our 6,500 electronic musicians and thousands of monthly visitors.

Email em@em411.com with url's to past / current work and what you'd want in trade.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

You may want to try the Boardroom thread for these types of queries. As for myself, I haven't tried scripting a chat env. in Flash yet.

Moved from AS.

Hi,

are you looking into a traditional (cgi or php based) chat where the chatters poll a standard server once every few seconds, or are you looking for a solution using some kind of comm or socket server? (does NOT work with the average http://www.xyzhosting.com but usually requires a dedicated machine, or at least special arrangements)

Musicman

thanks for the reply musicman.

to be frank, i'm not quite aware of the different methods. as a php/mysql coder with no flash experience, i don't know what would be involved in a *****hotel.com type of chat, but i'm looking for something that's not a traditional irc-based or irc look-a-like.

any suggestions?

*****hotel.com is made with Director and is in shockwave format.

director = shockwave format? what advantages does this have over flash? and would one be able to make something like this in flash?

Originally posted by EM411.COM
    thanks for the reply musicman.

to be frank, i'm not quite aware of the different methods. as a php/mysql coder with no flash experience, i don't know what would be involved in a *****hotel.com type of chat, but i'm looking for something that's not a traditional irc-based or irc look-a-like.

any suggestions?
    If you want to do it in flash then your going to need an xml socket server and a dedicated server (that you have access to) to host everything. Any other way would be to slow.

I'm not familiar with shockwave, but i think it has more functions dealing with multi-user programs.

Hi,

quite frankly: a http based chat works in a way that every client polls the server every x seconds - you might provide an option for the user to adjust the x according to their connection. If 100 idle chatters are in the room, 100 clients will ask the server for new data every x seconds.
    Every hosting company offers this service, and with a high load you will break most servers (and probably get banned)
    The socket servers work in a different way - whenever new data is posted, the server sends them to all online clients. Under most situations, this version consumes far less resources than the other one ... but you certainly have to pay extra for removing load from the hosting company (or even run your own server)
    If the update frequency is high, the user would not notice much difference

Musicman

thanks everyone, for your help.

musicman, when you say "but you certainly have to pay extra for removing load from the hosting company" i'm confused. do you pay monetarily? if so, why would i be paying extra to REMOVE server load from the system? because i'd have to then get a DS?

so everyone recommends shockwave for a task of this sort?

Hi,

it is one of these ridicules of life: a hosting company offers a standard service which does not match the requirements of a chat too well - as a consequence the chat will create quite a bit of load on the server.
    Now a specialized server does a better job, but the hosting company normally does not offer it, so you either have to talk them into providing that extra service (and they will have to learn about these beasts before they are setting them up) or really get a dedicated server
    Maybe macromedia's marketing for the flashcomm server will make the idea popular with hosting companies in the future.

Would _shockwave_ make any difference from the point of view of server setup?

Musicman

what features need to be available on the server, exactly?