A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Portfolio Madness

I know there is a lot of stuff on my site, but please try to check out as much as you can and comment.

thanks

Big gulps huh?
    i think it looks good but it is kind of bland...plus you have ALOT of links and things for the navigation...this to me detracts alot and i would probably reorganize it...damn good 3d modeling

I like it a lot.

I have to admit that at points it gets a bit confusing with the navagation and such. But it's a really cool site. Definately a nice portfolio there...

Oh, and I hate websites that make themselves go over my app-bar at the bottom :x make it smaller so it don't do that.

Originally posted by enstent
    http://www.shiftback.com

thoughts?
    I like it for the reduced colours.

works good but navigational systems changes to often so it confuses a bit. but its nothing to worry about.

I have a lot I want to show... how else could I show everything without having a lot of links? Flashkit.com has a lot of links and sub links...

I fixed the "full screen" problem.

how else could I show everything without having a lot of links? Flashkit.com has a lot of links and sub links...
    1- flashkit is not trying to sell anything (not directly), its a 'community'..
    2- how many people will take the time to look at everything ??
    3- why most of the links are in both the left and right side ??
    4- tutorials ?? good ones, but... why ?? (want people to learn how to do it by themselves or want people to hire YOU to do it ?)
    5- links to other designers sites... sure... they might get good traffic from it if you attract a lot of people...
    6- most of the links, even if they lead to a nice site... are not at all needed for someone searching for a wed/multimedia designer... (flash forum site ?)

site looks good, no doubt about it... but... will it sell... and if so, sell what ?

more is sometimes too much...

Enter the Flash Dragon Prototype3X's Avatar
    It ok but KnownStranger is right.

KnownStranger : Good point. When I first made the site I wanted to showcase my talent and skills. I thought tutorials would should that I can teach and am willing to share skill. I thought links would attract other designers and show the sites I like to look at. I wanted a lot of links so that nothing was left out and they got the whole picture of who I am. I feel I possess both the ability to think creatively and design artistically, but also hold the ability to problem solve and perform advanced scripting feats.

What is your first impression of me when you enter the site?

What is your first impression of me when you enter the site?
    of you ? lack of self assurance

[B]I thought tutorials would should that I can teach and am willing to share skill.B]
    want to be a teacher ?

I thought links would attract other designers and show the sites I like to look at.
    why ? are they (designers) potential clients ?

I wanted a lot of links so that nothing was left out and they got the whole picture of who I am.
    the picture, we got it... but hey, the messenger is more important than the message in your site... how about : what services you offer ? i have no clue, even after my 3rd visit... what you can, and willing to, do for me...

you'll be surprised to notice that in the corporate world, your clients, or clients to be, wont care much about you, your skills, how you did it, etc...

they want RESULTS...

but also hold the ability to problem solve
    how come you dont say it EXPLICITLY on your site... i dunno...

I get a lot of students and amateur designers asking me questions about Flash Actionscript and other languages. When I started to get a lot of the same questions asked, I made tutorials for them and post them. I don't want to be a teacher, but in ways I have turned into one.

When I make a Shiftback.com rebuild I will split my site into two directions. One for a more corporate approach that states exactly who I am and what I can do. The second direction will be a more playful area with lots of interaction and sections with less definition.

Was my message not clear? I get a lot of people saying... great site! But I don't think they know why they think it is a great site.

hi there

I like the splash page ... sets a nice quality feel for the rest - the image is good!
    - The hit area was slightly off the 'enter' text, just below.
    First impression was that it looked good, but ran a little slow - perhaps the browns give it a kindof olde look - I think the sliding white rectangle on the menu buttons is good, but would speed it up slightly!

Fact shift was nice - perhaps have the 'quote' on the left hand side next to the button - I get the idea, but think it would have a stronger effex on the left - just opinion!

Sound control didnt seem to be working!

The load bars on the various sections take a while to enter the content area - with such a small % loaded indicator, it seemed like there was too much of a delay - perhaps just set it on the white at the start - know what i mean?

The draggable scroll bars are good, but drag the content right up and off the screen - eg the 'Flash preloader' tutorial

I'd look to have a hit area for the menu slider, so that when you are off the buttons, the slider doesnt continue moving - perhaps stays on the button clicked! a bit of work there, but you're on the right track for sure...

I like your site - it gives off an air of sophistication, but for me it might be a little dull looking - what about bringing in some colour contrasts - what goes with brown?

anyway, hope some of this helps
    Cheers and good luck
    G
    PS could you take a look at my post
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=355462

glasjazz - Are you on a Mac? It seems that Mac's run my movie a lot slower and the colors are a lot more dull.

I have a lot of scripts running in the background and the site was a real playground for trying diffrent things, but it is too much. If only Flash used some sort of a CSS color pallet wher I could change one color and it would updated everything. Wouldn't that be nice! The whole site is made up of about 20 swfs and it would just take too much time to change the color scheme. Next time I will include I higher contrast between colors.

I didn't want my portfolio site just to be a place where I post junk that I have created. I wanted it to repersent who I was as a person. The site is a little more slower and nutral in color, becuase I am easy going person. It is jam packed with links and stuff, because I feel I have a lot to offer as a designer and person.

In the next month I will start a new site and keep I will keep in mind everything you all wrote!

What do you think of a interactive portolfio where people can post little notes on and around every page of my flash site?

I saw a cool site once where it was a 3D enviroment and you could leave these little eggs with notes in them.