dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: My first flash site please be honest...

Not much content cause I am workin on design first then will add content later. Your honest opinion will be appreciated. *edit* http://skitch.clanpages.com *edit*
    [Edited by skitchm on 08-12-2002 at 12:11 PM]

as would a link to your site...

JAyzEE
    O.K.

Ok im assuming that the link is your homepage..

not an awful lot to put across in terms of website's purpose / whats the message you are trying to give, what is the purpose of this website..

The site really has no pourpose or meaning right now other than being a personal homepage. First I wanna get this flash stuff down then I'll figure out where I wanna go with it. For me right now its all about learning flash and design.

Any comments on the aesthetics of the site as far as the photo deal I set up for the pictures go and also anybody know of any good soundfiles that would sound good playing each time one of the dropdown menues open?

Señor member
    ok, welcome to flashkit

I don't think you've had any helpful feedback yet so I'll give it a crack.

I say it on a lot of sitechecks when I venture out of the coffee lounge and give feedback and I'll say the same here,

it's important first off to consider why you've chosen to use flash, it's a great tool but not used appropriately in many cases. I know exactly what you're trying to do as I did it myself when I first got flash open and I'm sure most members here were the same at some point when learning flash.

At the moment it is quite difficult to critique the site as it's in the very early stages of development and content is sparse there but I'm sure it will build up over time and you'll have a great site going in no time. I'd really like to not review it because there is little there, I'd just like to offer some encouragement and possibly point you in the direction of some interesting reading in the form of the tutorials here and the open source movies which have always proved invaluable to me when I've used flash in the past

With regards to site style, it's slightly confused because you're obviosuly a gamer - judging by the pic and the link in it, so possibly concentrate on your gaming interests as a theme, I know it's a personal site, as is mine and most other members here and it's important to start with one step and think what your site will cover, if it's going to links or stories, I'd maybe recommend not using flash and look into setting up and customising a weblog of some sort.

If you're keen to work in flash, I'd maybe look at a nice clean HTML site and use flash movies as you develop your skills, maybe some sort of ongoing portfolio of flash movies?

With what you've said about learning flash, I think a portfolio site of small movies as and when you learn the technology and actionscripting might be a good way to go

Good luck with it, the help forums here are top notch so don't be afraid to ask!

James.

Thanks for the feedback jamble7000. I am not understaning exactly what this meant "it's important first off to consider why you've chosen to use flash, it's a great tool but not used appropriately in many cases" The reason I choose flash is because there is so much you can do with it and the site look much better than stande html or php. What I dont understand is how flash could be used inapproriately. Is flash designed for business use only or for sites that should have a specific theme and only one? What I eventually would like to do is have 2 seperate parts of the site one being for my personal stuff and the other being a gamming/flash works fansite type of thing and my own personal interests/family site. I want the gamming/flash site to be kinda like a gallery of user created flash works, movies, games and links to sites created by newcomers like myself. And possible a forum for those same people to be able to ask questions or share ideas with others. Yes flashkit is a great site and all and its helped me alot but it is a rather large community and what I would like to have is maybe a more focused community of primarily gamers and newcomers to flash.